Wednesday, April 19, 2017

English Scones


Recently I baked these scones and realized I hadn't shared with you.
For tea parties I tend to make cream scones, which I have shared;
but sometimes I just love these more "hefty" scones.
Here is my favorite English scone recipe.

1/2 cup sugar
4 cups flour
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
1/2 cup raisins (or dried cranberries)
1 cube butter (1/2 cup)
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk or more

400 degree oven on middle shelf
Blend dry ingredients in large bowl, rub in butter until
well blended.  Beat egg with buttermilk and save 2 teaspoons
to glaze scones before putting in oven.
Add raisins into the dry ingredients and stir well.
Add the egg buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients
and blend well.  You may need to add a bit more buttermilk if it isn't
sticking together.  Roll or pat to about 3/4 - 1 inch on floured board.
Cut into wedges or with round cookie cutter and placed
on lightly greased cookie sheet.
Brush with remaining buttermilk mixture.
Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown.

When I make a batch I often freeze them and thaw as needed
in the microwave.  Delicious plain, but served warm with
jam and butter or cream is good too.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Bernideen said...

Those look very nice Marilyn - job well done!

Jeanie said...

This one looks good, too, Marilyn. I always make your cream scones; I'll have to try this one! (Is it in your book -- the gray tea book that I have?)

Tracy said...

Thank you for sharing your recipe, Marilyn. I like the hint of spice and cranberries! Scones is a tea time favorite, and I just love them. It's great having some tucked away in the freezer for those moment went just a little something slightly sweet will do. ;) ((HUGS))

Lorrie said...

There's really nothing like a good scone with tea. Yours look delicious.

Rosemary said...

Yumminess on a plate!