Thursday, April 13, 2017

Tea Salon, Part 2

After my last post of having a tea salon or "in-home" salon
more thoughts came my way.  
Someone mentioned to me that Gertrude Stein, an American writer during the early 1900's,
hosted Paris salons where she invited artists and writers into her home for intellectual conversations.
In wikipedia it states that a salon was a gathering of people under the roof
of an inspiring host, held partly to amuse one another and partly to
refine the taste and increase the knowledge of the participants through
conversation.  Salons, commonly associated with French literary and
philosophical movements of the 17th and 18th centuries, were
carried on until as recently as the 1940's in urban settings.
I learned that they most often were instigated by women for education
and the more positive aspects of being a woman.
Women were an important role and regulator in salons.
They selected their guests and decided the subject of their gathering.
They also had the role as mediator by directing the discussion.
It was a form of higher education for women of that era.

Fascinating!?  Yes!?
What do you think?

So as a woman I could instigate a tea salon for education and the positive
aspect of being a woman.  A hand written invitation would be sent
along with the topic of discussion.
The concept does fascinate and intrigue me.
The pictures I took for this post represent to me what it might look like
with an evening chosen, candlelight, and a subject such as:
tea, poetry, care of family, care of ourselves, care of our world
 or well it is wide open.
What would you want to discuss and share education about
as you sipped a cup of tea?

Happy weekend, dear friends!

4 comments:

Lorrie said...

I think it would be a fun time together!

Jeanie said...

I love your vision of a tea salon. That tablecloth is just beautiful. And I can imagine there would be fascinating conversation! Oh, I should love to come to your tea salon and discuss life in general!

Mary said...

I often have tea outside in the gazebo - in fact we seem to be always inviting new friends over to join in - and several have shown up over the years! My gazebo is going to require some TLC within the next year of so - I see a little wood rot here and there - however it doesn't stop us from chatting whilst sipping tea, or a glass of wine, and last evening we enjoyed dinner out there whilst watching the birds splashing about in the baths, and taking little bugs to their mates whom seem to be nesting now!

Education is always a good topic - much better than politics, grrrrr!
Mary x

Tracy said...

This is so wonderful! Your "articles" on this topic have been fascinating, Marilyn! Sometimes I think I know about tea, and then I realize, I know not enough... haha! The tea salon as educator of women--I can definitely see where that could very much have been a great and vital source of information and knowledge shared among women. And I can see how a tea evening would have been a good way for the sharing of very important information like health & livelihood matters, and not least beauty and pleasures. Politics was likely a topic too. But I grew weary of if, as there is too much of that information flying around these days... LOL! I wish I didn't live so far away... I would LOVE to come to your tea salon and talk about the important things of life! And POETRY... YES! There is not enough talk of poetry, not enough sharing or reading of poetry! Where is the poetry?! ((HUGS))