Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Vintage Picnic Tea Time

What's not to like about this picture.
Recently I came across the picture at the antique mall.
I didn't purchase it, but took my camera out and took a picture.

So much dreaming and happy thoughts in this picture.
For me it combines both a cup of tea (or is it coffee) and a picnic outdoors.
I love that they had flowers on the table and sitting on a box.
I am trying to think what would they have served at this table with tea?
Did they make tiny cucumber sandwiches?
What kind of tea was in the cup?
Were they celebrating?

It seems like a gentle moment in time.
Sitting peacefully among the trees and grass,
But an effort was made to make it special.

How I would have loved sitting here,
listening to the conversation of the day.
Did you hear what Hazel did just the other day?
Oh, Mabel is expecting her 5th child soon.
Henry is out plowing the back 40.
And little William is off to school just down the road.
What are the plans for the church potluck celebration?
Yes, I can just imagine and dream along with them.

What do you think is in their cup?
What would they have served?
What is the conversation you are hearing?

linking with Bernideen:  http://blog.bernideens.com/

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

Oh Marilyn, I hope you don't mind but I copied the photo to maybe someday use in an art piece. It's fabulous. I would have bought it but I'll bet it was out of my price range. I put it through Picassa and got rid of the tear and darkened some of the detail. You still can't see the food though. It must be behind the floral centerpiece if they are eating. I don't see little plates. Oh, this is a treasure!

Steph said...

Lovely, just lovely! I like the tinting of the photo, and also the use of the ferns and other greenery in the arrangements. :-) Thank you for finding and sharing!

Tracy said...

Oh, this is WONDERFUL!! I would have bought this too! We'd have to share it, Jeanie! ;) LOL... Love the gentle tinting of color on the photo. Their dresses look a bit 1920's-30's... With all the flowers, I wonder if it was someone's birthday or other special occasion. Looks like they went to some trouble to "style" this. The pot looks more like coffee, though the cups suggest tea cups... What a fun mix! I hope it's tea, though. ;) Perhaps the food came after the photo was taken. Cake maybe to celebrate. A happy time it surely was. Sooo GLAD you share this, Marilyn! ((HUGS))

Lorrie said...

That's a lovely image that sparks all sorts of imaginative thoughts. Tea taken outdoors, with friends, is an Occasion.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Marilyn, I would have been intrigued by that picture, too. I love your musings about it. I'm going to ignore the coffee-ish look of that pot and assume they are drinking tea! I think the ladies are sisters and that they are making an occasion of being able to all get together.

Angela McRae said...

I do believe you have captured well the spirit of what this conversation might have been like! No dainty, frilly, lace-bedecked tea-goers here ... and I like that. I love the fact that tea (or shoot, even coffee, if that was the case) embraces us all. Lovely!