Thursday, December 3, 2015

Around the Neighborhood, Nature

 Walking in my neighborhood, starting at my home, the
hummingbirds both delight and enchant me each and everyday.
 Tucked along the walk I found winter camillias in full bloom.

 Berries and rose hips just shine in all their red colors.
These things do lighten the sorrow of so many people around the world
grieving for their lost friends and families.

When despair grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting for their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

6 comments:

KathyB. said...

So beautiful in these days mostly bare of foliage. I especially like the quote by Wendell Barry. I like his writing.

Jeanie said...

Too much darkness these days. Won't it ever stop?

I am in awe of your catching that hummingbird. Stunning.

Tracy said...

Trust Wendell Berry to help our hearts to rights again, and hope... Lovely images to help, Marilyn... The news of the world is so heavy these days. Juxtaposed to "this most wonderful time of the year" the extremes cut the heart deep. In the darkness we must still believe LOVE is the strongest power that will conquer the dark! :) ((HUGS))

Sylvia said...

Your neighborhood is pretty, Marilyn. Lovely photo's.

Mary said...

Marilyn, these are amazing words and perfect for these dark, sad days. How I wish I could not "tax my life with forethought of grief." Waking in the night, or even before sleep comes, I too fear about the children and the future.

Thank you for the lovely photos - they brightened the day.
Mary x

Angela McRae said...

Very poignant. I know so many people experiencing deep sorrow ... the only way I can think of to help is to pray and, as the saying goes, be kinder than necessary.