Tuesday, September 11, 2018

British Style Tea


Let's chat a bit.
Take a seat and I will pour you a "cuppa".
Imagine this chair is sitting by the fire in an English pub.
You order a pot of tea and dream awhile.

What would be in the pot?
It might be a bracing black English Breakfast or Earl Grey tea.
Would you add the milk first or after pouring in the tea?
If considering that, you must notice what your cup is made of.
Is it delicate?
How would it take to the cold then the hot temps?
Most often if the tea is made in a pot the milk is added to the cup before the pour.
But either way will work.
Now the milk situation is resolved, right?
How do the English make their tea?
Fully boil fresh water.
Pour into the pot to warm it a bit.
Pour that water out.
Now add a teaspoon of loose leaf tea for each cup of tea to the pot.
Pour in the freshly boiled water and steep for 1-5 minutes.
Yep! You want it to be strong.
Now get out the tea strainer and hold it over the cup as you pour.
With the loose tea still sitting in the pot steeping away
you might want to add more water to keep it from getting bitter.
The milk does tone down the bitterness too.
Then there is always sugar.
For some a little sweetener in the cup makes for a delightful cup of tea.

I drink my tea most often just straight (no calories there),
but in England I may also do as the English do.
A little milk to smooth the way for a beautiful day.

From time to time I will share how to make tea in various ways.
I bet you didn't know there was more than one way to make your tea.

The green enamel teapot recently came home with me in a bag no less.
Ha! It looked like it needed a little love and some bracing hot tea inside.


6 comments:

Time Traveling in Costume said...

Just that chair makes me want to curl up and have a cuppa. That is so my style. Thank you for this beautiful sight.
Val

Red Rose Alley said...

I have to say that English Breakfast tea is my favorite tea. This is a charming picture of the green tea pot and the chair with the green colors. I never understood the tradition of milk in the tea, as it tastes good just as it is to me. : )

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

Now, what I want to know, is what is that book under the teapot!

Bernideen said...

Dear Marilyn:
Yes, I love the British style of tea. I love everything about it. I am not diverse like you are as I see your interest in the Asian style. I enjoyed your posting.

Lorrie said...

Tea made in a pot is the best way to enjoy the beverage. The British certainly know how to do tea, although I don't take it as strong as they do.

Linda P said...

I would love to sit in that cosy chinz chair and enjoy a cup of tea with you. During social occasions when serving English Breakfast tea there would be a jug of milk to hand. Milk would be offered after the liquid is poured into the cups. That way you can decide how strong you want your tea to be by letting the tea in the pot brew for longer or otherwise and then add milk if you so desire.