Wednesday, February 27, 2019

A Winter Walk


Yesterday morning the sky was blue and I had to go to the secret garden for a walk.
I was hoping I hadn't missed the crocus blooming, but what I found
were mostly hellebore and snowdrops.
There were a few other things beginning to bloom.
As I walked along I realized I must have been the only person to visit this magical
place all morning.  The snow on the bridge had no footprints until I walked there.
The witch hazel was in full bloom.
I had never seen a big tree of witch hazel.
Do you see snowdrops on the left and hellebore on the right of the path?
There were still many soft purple crocus, but most were afraid to open
to the cold or were battered from the winter weather.
 Snowdrops did delight my heart.
And a walk with the beauty of a blue sky in winter
was amazing!
It was a walk on the wild side, the side of nature
with no one around, just the silence of the garden.
At Bishop's Close, a garden in Portland that if you don't know it's there
you would miss. No signs marking the way.

7 comments:

Lorrie said...

What a lovely place to head for a morning walk. The hellebores are amazing!

Linda P said...

Thank you for taking us to this special place. It looks peaceful and unspoilt. The flowers are so pretty. Here, it has been a joy to see the Spring flowers blooming. In the unusually warm weather the snowdrops and crocuses have fully opened. It's a delight to see the delicate crocuses responding fully to the sunshine and we humans love the warmth too.

mamasmercantile said...

A beautiful walk and a lovely reminder that Spring is on the way.

Cheryl said...

My favorite place for a walk!

Jeanie said...

Spring is definitely coming to your neighborhood. it looks beautiful and I can't imagine that a walk there -- especially right now-- would be anything less than spectacular, both visually and mentally!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

What a marvelous garden, Marilyn. How I would love to make the first footprints of the day there. Thanks for taking us on a mini-vacay!

Tracy said...

...*sigh*... so enjoyed this beautiful spring-filled walk, Marilyn! Nothing much in bloom here yet, and not always warm either... but we have snow melting, so that is hopeful! ;) Happy Weekend ahead, my friend ((HUGS))