Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Look and See


A favorite Mary Oliver poem


Look and See

This morning, at waterside, a sparrow flew
to a water rock and landed, by error, on the back
of an eider duck; lightly it fluttered off, amused.
The duck, too, was not provoked, but, you might say,
was laughing.

This afternoon a gull sailing over
our house was casually scratching
its stomach of white feathers with one
pink foot as it flew.

Oh Lord, how shining and festive is your gift to us.
if we only look, and see.


Living in the Alberta Arts District I find many murals
in my neighborhood.
The picture above is a mural I snapped while walking there. 

As the snow gently falls out my window this morning,
I am dreaming of waterside walks and to find that eider duck.
This week I tried to find him by the pond and sip a cup of tea as I watched.
I did get my picture of tea in the wind by the waterside,
but brrrrr, so very cold that those ducks were tucked safely away.
Come on Spring!
We need your joy; so we can once again walk on the wild side.

7 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

That is a unique place mat that your tea is on, Marilyn. I love how you walk and explore, even in the freezing temperatures. Spring will get here soon, but in the meantime, enjoy that white wonder. : )

Your poems and quotes are always delightful, Marilyn.

~Sheri

Linda P said...

That's a pretty mural with the mountain in the background. I'm guessing the painting depicts local scenery. I wonder why the bird has a key in its claw? (I'm interested in the symbols you see in paintings). I agree with Red Rose Alley that the quilted mat is unique. I've just noticed the kneeling mat too. Enjoy the times you can set up your tea things and sip a warming cup of tea. Thank you for coming by and leaving a comment on my last blog post. It encourages me to carry on with my blog hoping I write something of interest for those who come by.

mamasmercantile said...

Loved the mural, a delight to see it. I also loved the place mat, stunning. Did you make it yourself?

Jeanie said...

I always worry about the water birds in winter when water is so frozen. I hope all your ducks return. And thanks for the Mary Oliver poem -- I'm seeing a lot of her lately and there can't be enough!

Tracy said...

Mary Oliver and birds... perfect... :))) LOVE the crazy quilty star you have your tea set upon! Oh, this was sweet... Happy Day, Marilyn ((HUGS))

Mary said...

Wow, snow again this late?
Be careful - stay warm and dry.

The mural is depicting a flood I guess - hope you don't get those!
Wonder what the big heavy looking key opens - a country house in the woods, a castle - my brother's 200 year old French house has a similar to the original front door!

Happy weekend - hope it warms up soon for more outdoor tea times Marilyn X

Jeanie said...

It makes me sad to think there will be no new Mary Oliver poems, but what a legacy she leaves. I do love that photo -- beautiful setting of teapot on quilts -- a favorite!

I wonder when winter will end? I hope it is soon... And I mean snow and cold, not just the equinox!