Friday, June 21, 2019

Minto Island Farm

One day each year Minto Island Farm opens for a tour.
Now I have been to their farm stand before and walked around the farm by the stand,
I had never been where the tea grew.
The tea above was planted in the late 1980's,
but just in the past 5 years have they begun to produce and sell tea.
They are the first to admit they are still learning,
but they are making nice strides in becoming tea growers in Oregon.
We were greeted with a tasting of the 4 teas they are now selling.
They have one black, one oolong, and two green teas.
The oolong was my favorite of the group.
In the green house we could see the progression of new starts.
I learned that they were having more success starting from seed than from twigs from plants.
In the fall the plants form seed pods that hold three separate seeds.
The one issue with starting from seeds is you don't get a true variety,
so then they are not able to determine what variety they have. 
You can still make tea from whatever variety,
but there is a bit more control in what you get if you know the variety.

After touring the farm a group of us sat under a lovely oak tree
in the field and had lunch.
Just sitting there listening to the birds and seeing butterflies flit by
was pure delight.
After lunch 13 of us gathered for meditation led by my friend, David.
We sipped an old puerh tea, which just felt ancient as I savored it.
How lovely to take an hour just to sit in silence.
After touring, sitting under the oak, and then meditation
I was so relaxed.
What a special time with friends.
As a final touch we visited the you pick flower garden.
I can only tell you, it was a very special day.
Minto Island Farm is located just off River Rd. in Salem, Oregon.
Thanks Minto Island Farm!!!

Happy weekend, dear friends!
Also Happy Summer Soltice!
Now go out and enjoy the day!

8 comments:

Mary said...

What a prefect outing on a beautiful day Marilyn. So interesting learning about tea actually being grown for processing here in the US. You are such an expert on it all too. Meanwhile I'm mostly still popping a tea bag into my cup! Must say though, another lovely Irish surprise was real loose camomile tea steeped in the most beautiful pot in our favorite Galway City coffee shop! Their coffee is the best but that morning my tummy required soothing - tea helped!

Angela McRae said...

What a beautiful place to visit! And I also learned some new things about growing tea.

Jeanie said...

What a perfect day for their open house -- and to be ever so trite, just your cup of tea! It's fascinating, this process that we all take for granted and I'm so glad you were able to enjoy every second!

Linda P said...

What a beautiful place to learn more about tea! A relaxing experience I'm sure. We now grow tea in England in beautiful Cornwall. Apparently Cornwall has a suitable climate for developing an estate there. I would love to visit Cornwall and see the tea growing for myself.

Anne Jeffries said...

This post is a vivid reminder to me of just how beautiful Oregon is and the wide variety of gardens that are available to visit. Not so much around here.

Tracy said...

WOW... what a beautiful place, and beautiful experiences! It's so exciting learning about tea growing in different places! As far as I know there's no tea being grown here in Scandinavia--just no climate for some things here. Although herbals for tea... yes! Got those. ;) This was so much fun... Thanks for taking us along, Marilyn! ((HUGS))

Terra said...

That looks like a place I would love to visit. I do love tea and gardening.

Rosemary said...

This looks fascinating, and a truly memorable experience. Such a beautiful field of tea plants!