Monday, November 25, 2019

Garden Quotes 2019

 From my garden just yesterday.

The Song of the Rose Hip Fairy

Cool dewy morning,
Blue sky at noon,
White mist at evening,
And large yellow moon;

Blackberries juicy
For staining of lips;
And scarlet, O scarlet
The Wild Rose Hips!

Gay as a gipsy*
All Autumn long,
Here on the hedge-top
This is my song.

From The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies
by Cicely Mary Barker

 *yes, "gipsy" is spelled like that by Cicely Mary Barker

Hope you had a delightful weekend.
Welcome to Thanksgiving week!

6 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

This is a delightful quote for me to read on this Monday morning, Marilyn. It had me at 'gipsy.' ; )

I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving with lots of Yummy foods to eat.

~Sheri

Lorrie said...

Love that tattered wine-coloured rose. An aged beauty! Happy Thanksgiving week to you, Marilyn.

Jeanie said...

I've never heard this before. It's beautiful -- and exquisitely illustrated!

Linda P said...

I enjoy the flower fairies poems and pictures in those little book sets. Your photo images and the song are perfect for these November days still full of beauty. May you and your family have a special Thanksgiving.

Tracy said...

Oooooo....LOVE the Cicely Mary Barker Flower Fairies books, and the illustrations are just magical! Your photos may a nice homage to the books, Marilyn. I especially like the top image... there's so much beauty, even in decay... Wishing you & your a LOVE-filled week, this Thanksgiving week... may you all have a blessed day! ((LOVE & HUGS))

Mary said...

I have the entire set of the Flower Fairies books - they are so delightful.

Have a great Thanksgiving Day dear Marilyn - hugs always, Mary