Tuesday, January 28, 2020

A Very Special Teatime

 In winter time there usually is one teatime by the fireplace.
Yesterday was that day.
A day not too cold, but just right to sit for awhile and nibble.
 There was a bit of sipping too, tea in fact.
A lovely tea from India called Sungma Organic Musk, a second flush 2018 Darjeeling.
 An old family quilt served as a tablecloth.
Vintage teaware is my delight.
And a painting of roses, a bouquet from France.
 The nibbles were egg salad, always my favorite, and toasty hot mushroom on toast.
 Then a carrot cupcake with chocolate hearts on top,
a definite nod to the upcoming Valentine's.
What inspired me to make teatime in the middle of the week you say?
This old recipe box I have had sitting on my shelf for years.
One of my favorite tea sandwiches comes from this box; 
so I decided there must be more to explore.
So from time to time I will share a recipe as I try them.
Today was Hot Mushroom and I loved it.
The box comes from the very first time I went to afternoon tea many years ago.
A friend took me to the lunchroom of the Palo Alto Auxiliary at the Allied Arts Guild
in Menlo Park, California. The lunchroom was a non-profit project to maintain beds
for children at the Children's Hospital at Stanford University.
The Recipe for Hot Mushroom tea sandwiches:
2 cups chopped mushrooms, do not chop fine
2 green onions including some of tops, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flour
white wine
1/3 cup sour cream
Saute mushrooms and onion in 1/4 cup butter. 
Cook about 2 minutes.
Add flour and cook 2 more minutes.
Combine mushroom juice with white wine to make 1 cup liquid,
add and cook 3 minutes. Cool. Add sour cream.
Spread on toast and broil.
My toast was cut with a heart cookie cutter,
but you cut the bread any way you would like.
Enjoy!

Take an afternoon off in the middle of the week
and have tea.

9 comments:

Jeanie said...

This sounds good. Someday I'll have a new oven and I can make things like this! I think you are very bold and brave to use a vintage quilt as a tablecloth (unless there is glass over it, but doesn't look like it!). It's a lovely table, so pretty and the sandwich sounds wonderful!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I love "tea by the fireplace"! What fun and yummy treats too ♥

mamasmercantile said...

Tea by the fire a real delight. I will certainly be giving those hot mushrooms a try. Loved the quilt, making the table setting so beautiful.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Marilyn, what a delightful setting AND menu! I'm a mushroom fan so will definitely try this sandwich soon. As someone who has been blogging even longer AND more frequently than I have, you are just the person I need to comment on my announcement today. Love your beautiful blog!

Mary said...

I so loved all this about teatime by the fire Marilyn - I must do something similar whilst we still are lighting the fire. It really hasn't been cold enough but that doesn't matter - just having a fire in the room is so comforting.
Interesting mushroom toast - which I know I would love - and carrot cupcake with chocolate sounds yummy.

Buttercup said...

What a lovely post. Afternoon tea is a perfect way to spend a winter afternoon. I'll take a carrot muffin, please!

Lorrie said...

What a lovely way to make an ordinary day something special!The mushroom toasts sound delicious.

Red Rose Alley said...

I love your charming photos. They make me smile. : )

~Sheri

Tracy said...

Cozy photos... Tea by the fire--sooo good! The warm mushroom mix for tea sandwiches sound really good, especially for winter! :) ((HUGS))