Monday, January 20, 2020

Word for the Day - 2020

 Query, a form of inquiry - wikipedia

A question used for reflection and spiritual exercises among members of the Society of Friends.
A word quite familiar to me, as I have been in the Quaker tradition for many years.
I realized it might not be as familiar to you and wanted to share.
Each of our meetings for worship has "queries",
questions for us to reflect on.
Here are queries from yesterdays worship:
How do I understand "being blessed" personally?...
"Being blessed" as a nation?
When I'm in the midst of persistent conflict, where do I find hope?

As you might notice I often end a blog post with a query.
I hadn't realized it was because that is what I am use to as a Quaker
or if it is just common nature to end with a thought question (query). 

Is this a word you are comfortable using?

Wasn't sure what picture would fit the word query,
but this picture just feels like reflection to me.
Have a great week, dear friends!

4 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

That is such a cool photo, Marilyn. I like your word for the day today. It's nice to reflect on questions - I think it makes us appreciate things around us more. : )

~Sheri

Tracy said...

I like queries, I like questions, I like thinking about things! A day can be busy, so I like when something is thrown my way to think about! :) Happy Week as you wonder, and wander... ((HUGS))

Jeanie said...

This is a very thought provoking post, Marilyn, and I love it. When I think of "query" it reminds me of the days of sending query letters to publications with your article ideas. But it is so much more broad. I love being posed with a question. I might not always have an answer or a good one, but it does make one stop and think and that's very worthwhile.

Melanie said...

I like queries because I am a thinker! (Sometimes, too much so.) Interesting that you are a Quaker...I went to one of their meetings for the first time in Feb 2019. It was a very small local meeting held in an elderly person's house. I truly enjoyed it and the people there were lovely. I've been wanting to go back but it's been one thing after another...and here we are, a year later. I feel guilty that I haven't been back in so long, but I know the Quakers are also very relaxed about something like that. I am planning on attending the meeting again this Sunday!