Thursday, August 27, 2020

Teabag Art

In 1985 I graduated from design school and went to work as an apparel patternmaker.
During design school I learned to move watercolor paint around the paper.
After I started to work and was also raising a family there was no time for painting,
so my paints dried up and others "borrowed" my art supplies.
Well during the pandemic I decided to take back what supplies I could gather together
and then ordered some new paints and brushes to add to the stash.
What made sense to me was to combine my love of tea by using the used teabags
as my painting palette and make cards.
It has been great fun to send them to friends.
The paintings above are works in progress.
It seems like I have about 5 in progress at one time.
The second picture is three that inspired me from a vintage tablecloth.

Most often I like painting from nature.
Sometimes there is a bit of whimsy.
And sometimes I like tucking something in a bag. This one has dried tea leaves.

Here is where I work while I can also gaze out to the back yard.

The artbox on the table was mine from school and still works for me today.

 It's felt good to be moving the paints and pens over the paper again.

Happy weekend, dear friends!

8 comments:

Lorrie said...

What a clever way to tie together your love of tea and your artistic bent! Love the little bunny peeking out from the bag.

Rosemary said...

What a creative way to resume your artistic talents coupled with your love of tea! These are so unique and beautiful, Marilyn. It must be relaxing for you also.

Laura said...

Those are lovely!
blessings
~*~

Terra said...

This is very creative and has pretty results. I like your painting table and the light filled surroundings.

Mary said...

What a lovely way to use your creativity Marilyn. I love them all but the one with the green fan caught my eye! Your workspace is perfect with daylight from the large window - or perhaps it’s a door.
Hugs - Mary

Unknown said...

These are wonderful!
Susan

Linda P said...

I love art in miniature. What a good idea to paint on tea bags! The paintings are exquisite and delicate. I'm so glad that you've found a meaningful way to use your considerable artistic talent. It's interesting to see the place in your home where you sit and paint.

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad you are painting in paint again, Marilyn. Having seen some of your work close up, I know how beautiful it is. What really impresses me is the variety of designs/images you shared here, in different styles, yet they all fit with you. I'm very impressed!