Monday, August 31, 2020

Word for the Day - 2020

  Petrichor

"the smell of earth after rain"

Wikipedia: Petrichor (/ˈpɛtrɪkɔːr/) is the earthy scent produced when rain falls on dry soil. The word is constructed from Greek petra (πέτρα), "rock", or petros (πέτρος), "stone", and īchōr (ἰχώρ), the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology. 

Tomorrow is the beginning of September and my heart is beginning to think of cooler, rainy days.

In the past I have been sad to see summer go, but this year I anticipate wrapping in a cozy quilt with a good book and warm pot of tea to savor the Autumn weather with raindrops on roses and the fragrance of the earth as it soaks it all up.


 This is a new word for me and one I hope to incorporate into my vocabulary as we approach the days of rain.  But first I think there will be a bit more summer to walk through on ground that is parched from the lack of water.  May we savor the days, embrace them whatever the circumstances are around us.  For it is up to us to walk with delight with our eyes wide open.

Are you anticipating the rain and cooler weather?

Happy new week, dear friends!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

New word for me too...I like it!
Thanks for broadening my vocabulary!
Susan

mamasmercantile said...

A new word for me too and yes I am ready for the change of seasons and a slower pace of life that this brings. I love the cosiness of our little cottage and look forward to seeing what each day brings.

Jeanie said...

New word on my end too. Me? Not looking forward to moving on yet. It's not fall -- fall's good; it's knowing what comes after and wondering how we'll ever be able to distance and be outside when it's so cold!

Linda P said...

Lovely images of the natural world Marilyn. I like learning about the etymology of words so petrichor is interesting. The scent of rain on dry ground gives me a good feeling as I think of refreshment and renewal. We need to experience that during these difficult days. It has been a good Summer for me although at times challenging and I look forward to a new season with hope in my heart.

Tracy said...

So that's the word for it!! I've always wanted to bottle that scent... I love it! LOVE the images--the double rainbow especially! There are tiny signs of autumn here, if one looks close enough. But we are enjoying the last tastes of summer. With this crazy year, I find myself relishing the changes of season even more--savoring the special gifts each one brings. :) ((HUGS))