Monday, May 24, 2021

Word for the Week

 Compassion: a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.  (as found online in the dictionary)

As once again I have been sipping my tea this morning by the window I shared last week, many words ran through my head. It seems like so many beautiful words came across my path in the past days and compassion wasn't one of them. But as I sat thinking over the past week this morning I realized compassion was in my heart and needed in the world. Several have shared with me this week both online and more directly that they were having a difficult time with depression. I have felt great sadness for the situation in Israel and Palestine, it is just always close to my heart. My heart is heavy for all of those effected by the pandemic with loss of life, dear ones, jobs, and homes. There seems to be so much loss this past year, it saddens me more than I can even share here.



Even at my age I want to save the world, but some days I feel like there is nothing I can do. So I focus on the flowers outside my window, I say hello to the people I pass when out walking, I pray, I hold dear ones close to my heart and check in with them from time to time. What more can we do to show compassion to one another? How can we embrace them as we walk together through this rough time? No one person is untouched by this time of upheaval throughout the world. What healing bandage can we apply? Open for suggestions. How can we help heal this world and ourselves of this great sadness?

Sorry to be more negative this week, I guess it must be where my heart is sitting right now. Sending much love to each of you as you walk this world that needs to heal. Surround yourself with compassion and love, treat yourself with kindness and compassion.



4 comments:

R's Rue said...

Beautiful photos. I enjoyed reading your thoughts. Thank you.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Jeanie said...

You're not negative, Marilyn. You are thoughtful. And you give us things to think of too. I understand what you are saying and feel much the same way. So, we do what we can to help ourselves NOT be part of the problem, be there to listen if asked (or not) and care. You do that well.

Lorrie said...

I will second Jeanie's comment about your thoughtfulness. Showing kindness to everyone we meet during the day is a way to demonstrate compassion. Holding others in prayer is a loving way to act when we feel we must "do something." So much is beyond our sphere of influence.

Red Rose Alley said...

Compassion is a great word, and I actually did a post awhile back on this very word. The world is in need of it. You are a caring, compassionate, and genuine woman, Marilyn. And your words here show how much compassion you have, and all the caring thoughts for people that you keep tucked away in your heart.

~Sheri