Friday, October 1, 2021

Adventure to the Sea

 What I really should call this post is "girl time out".  I have a women's group I have joined  on several occasions at one of their cabins. It has always been a quiet, peaceful get away; something rather spiritual. I had never joined a group of very creative women just to laugh and celebrate. It was new to me after all my years to take an adventure to the sea, stay in one of my favorite places, and laugh and sip tea to celebrate a 60th birthday of one of my friends. There were 12 of us staying at the Sylvia Beach Hotel at Nye Beach, Oregon.

 

Each room of the hotel has a different author's room. This picture and lamp were in the Colette room. The first evening we all dressed for dinner, then took a tour of each of the women's rooms where they read something from their author and shared something special to drink. Then we had dinner together in the hotel restaurant. Because of COVID the restaurant was limited to just our little group. It was just delightful to visit and get to know friends of the guest of honor.
 
On a side note: we all have to show proof of vaccination and a negative COVID test in order to attend. I really appreciated all the cautions put into place, as I am not quite back to my old time comfortable self for traveling and being around groups of people.

 
Sunday morning the four tea friends introduced the rest of the group to tea. There were four tables set up: two different oolongs, a puerh, and a white tea. I served the white tea from my little blue gaiwan.

 
My friend, Tracy, and I shared the John Steinbeck room. This wall painting was just perfect to illustrate his writing. You probably can't see the frogs sitting on top of the grill in the picture, but do you know why the frogs were included in this room? I thought it was frog races in Calaveras County, but that was Mark Twain. However, John Steinbeck must have been fascinated by frogs also, in Cannery Row he said,

“There were frogs all right, thousands of them. Their voices beat the night, they boomed and barked and croaked and rattled. They sang to the stars, to the waning moon, to the waving grasses. They bellowed long songs and challenges.”

 
It was a rather stormy weekend, but still just to see the views of the sea from the hotel were magical. I didn't hear one frog croak, but I did listen to the sea.

 
And if you have followed me for a long time, I am always searching for Adirondack chairs by water. When found there is always a picture taken with my "big girl" camera.

May you all find opportunities to laugh with a friend, share a moment of peace by water, and a place to feel cared for.

Happy weekend, dear friends!

7 comments:

Terra said...

I would love to stay at that hotel with rooms dedicated to authors, and to have tea there. I would not "show my papers" though, so would need to wait for other times. Your sojourn sounds lovely.

Lorrie said...

What a delightful little excursion to the sea, Marilyn. The misty air and grey skies make it all look very Bronte-ish, and I can imagine the great contrast of the laughter and warmth inside the hotel because of you and your friends.

Linda P said...

It seems such a long time since it was possible to go on a retreat with women friends so I'm happy to know that you were able to get away and enjoy the company and shared interest.

Laura Morrigan said...

What a lovely trip! I will have to do something like that one day! I love the themed rooms!

Jeanie said...

I can't even imagine the joy of being able to retreat with a group of creatives and to such a wonderful spot. I love that you four shared tea. Did others share, too? And very smart on the Covid precautions. I'm relieved they take it seriously. This looks like my idea of heaven -- even if the weather wasn't ideal.

Mary said...

That looked like a fun time dear - know they must have enjoyed savoring your delicious tea on Sunday morning.
Mary x

Steph W said...

A very special place and weekend!