Friday, September 24, 2021

Acre of Earth

 In Vivian Swift's book, When Wanderers Cease to Roam, she writes in her September chapter that everyone at birth is given an acre of earth. How they fill their acre through life is different for each person. She goes on to share some simple memories that fill her acre, such as making orange marmalade while carrying a kitten in her apron pocket.or looking for books in the card catalog at the library.

Thinking about my acre of life I remember:

Peeking in the circle window at the hospital and meeting my younger sister for the first time.

Walking through the apple orchard barefoot on a hot summer day and feeling to soil squeeze through my toes while finding the perfect apple from the tree to eat.


Opening up the Nehi chest freezer at my uncles farm and reaching in to find a strawberry soda.

Watching tears in my grandpa's eyes as he sits silently watching his grandchildren at play.

Swimming in blue knit swimsuits in school gym outdoors in the rain.

The first time I noticed a boy actually noticing me.

Climbing trees and swinging from the top, which totally scared neighbors.

Visiting a college with my aunt and uncle because they wanted their son to attend, but I was the one that ended up attending.

Flying in a plane the first time and how we dressed up for the adventure.

The moment when each of my two children was born.

Graduating from design school.

Travels to France, standing under the Eiffel Tower.

Sipping tea at Betty's in York, England.

My grandsons birth, his words "I love you" and his kisses.


Finding my voice on the internet through sharing with you.

Walking in nature, each and every time I do it and wondering why I don't do it more often.


 

I challenge you to make your list that fills your acre of earth. What would be the #1 thing you would put on the list?

Happy Weekend, dear Friends!

9 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Marilyn, this is a wonderful post, and it would be good for any of us
to do a post about the acre of our life. I loved hearing all of the
special happenings in your acre of life. The one about your Grandpa having
tears in his eyes watching his grandchildren play really got to me. And also the first time you noticed a boy noticing you. And the Eiffel Tower! - how grand that must have been for you. This is a sweet photo of your grandson, and I love his smile. ; ) What a precious post this is today, Marilyn.

~Sheri

Lorrie said...

Good morning, Marilyn,
What a lovely post. Your "acre" is filled with delights big and small, but all beautiful. It's a great idea to put down in words the things that fill us up!

Jeanie said...

Are you sure you don't have two or three acres? What wonderful things to include -- all glorious. I love that book but I had forgotten this part -- I'll be doing a lot of thinking about my own acre. (D looks great!)

Linda P said...

The book sounds interesting. It seems as if it has made you think back and recall some special moments. I'm not good at deep thinking so sensory experiences such as hearing a piece of music or suddenly smelling a flower fragrance are aids to my remembrances of meaningful times in my life. Your photos beautifully illustrate the thoughts you have shared.

mamasmercantile said...

Such a thought provoking post, I am going to sit and take my time picking out what I would put on my list.

Tracy said...

Hi, Marilyn--GOOD to catch up with you! It's been a while since I've been able to catch up...my apologies for that. And, honestly, after my Instagram account was hacked & hijacked...well... I needed a digital detox and time offline to "recover"... LOL! I'm trying to figure out a new way, without social media. A newsletter is an option, and so far I've had some positive response. Drop me an email if you'd like to receive a newsletter. Only 1-3 x per quarters, so no worries about it being too much--just a way to share a little life stuff, and show showcase my pattern work. Anyway...!!! An acre of earth--that is a beautiful idea, must think about that more. Life has felt hard for a while, and I find myself trying to hold on to the good moments more in my mind rather than give way to negativity. Oh, wow--card catalog, I remember those! I kind of miss those. This evening we're going to the library for the first time in a long time now things are all opened up again. Have missed the library! WOW...much your grandson has grown!! :) ((LOVE & HUGS))

Laura Morrigan said...

How magical! I would have to think about mine! I think a lot would involve my wonderful friends!

Mary said...

Oh gosh, I'm so late here reading this awesome post, sorry!
I will have to work on such a list when I have time, meanwhile enjoying your list of wonderful memories.
Things have been busy and I'm getting ready to start PT for my painful lower back/leg issue. Two dear friends passed away - one in UK one in AZ. Got Jasmin ready to head to Alaska on Sun. - she's a bridesmaid and the official photographer for her childhood best friend! Things never slow down it seems. We are feeling our age!

Hugs -

Steph W said...

I have that book, a gift from a friend several years ago. I need to revisit it!