Monday, November 1, 2021

Word for the Week

 Travel

I guess I am cheating in a way, for choosing "travel" I can begin to share a bit of the travel I did recently. It will take me awhile to get through all the special places I saw and did. It was indeed a "travel" dream come true for me. Though I love traveling outside the US, I hadn't traveled very often to the east coast. I had never been to Washington, DC, North or South Carolina. With this travel adventure I only have one more state to check off my list to have touched each of the fifty states in the US, plus DC. Now I hope the final state of Alaska will be checked off my travel list next year.

The first days adventure was to visit Mt. Vernon, the home of the first president of the US. George Washington's home and gardens were just lovely and a treat to see.

Walking around to the side of the grounds and through the orchard and gardens our first site of the home was from the side.

I loved walking where George once walked and lived.


George Washington slept here.

The dictionary definition of travel is:

go from one place to another, typically over a distance of some length.
"the vessel had been traveling from Libya to Ireland"
 
Yes, my "live-in gardener" and I went from Portland to Washington, DC on the first of our travel adventure. 

Some other sights at Mt. Vernon:
 
We walked through the gardens.

We had glimpses inside out buildings.
The vegetable garden:

We walked past each building peering inside.
This was the women's slave quarters:
The mules were out for a walk on the grounds. A different form of travel.
Another peek into the gardens:
George's carriage. I wonder where it took him? Where did he travel?
The Orangery next to the gardens was our final stop on this adventure in travel;
but there will be much more to come.

Do you love visiting historical sights?
I love imagining how life was during that time period.
I learned that George Washington inherited this home when he was a young man, 
before he married. It was just a small house at the time. Gradually he added to the house as he married and had a family. The grounds were magnificent overlooking the Potomac River. The gardens sang to my soul. Yes, this was the first garden of many on our travel adventure.
 
Welcome to November, dear friends!


7 comments:

Laura said...

oh, i've never been to Mt. Vernon. your photos are beautiful. i love visiting historic places. i'll add this to my list!
take care,
~*~

Lorrie said...

I do love visiting historical sites and seeing how people from the past lived. Wonderful photos of your visit to Mount Vernon.

Red Rose Alley said...

So many wonderful photos of your travels, Marilyn. You saw many interesting things along the way. How exciting to see the home of George Washington. I love that green fireplace, it's charming. The carriage is very cool. The mules out in the garden were a special treat for you to see. Yes, I love visiting historical sights. I even love to visit the downtowns in the old parts of towns. There is so much history there.

I hope these November days bring you many pleasant surprises, Marilyn.

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

Oh wow! When I was a kid, my aunt went to Mt. Vernon and brought back a souvenir booklet with photos and ever since I wanted to see it. Well, I haven't -- but now I see it even better than that booklet I remember. It looks like a fascinating and wonderful day. Historical sites light that really attract me. Thank you for sharing this.

Rosemary said...

Mount Vernon is such an historical treasure! Loved the photos you shared and your thoughts.

roughterrain crane said...

Good morning. I love historical sights, too. Happy weekend to you.

Adrienne said...

I love to visit historical places! Whenever we travel with our cabin-on-wheels we love to stay in an area to discover the history and culture before moving on. I've been to Williamsburg and to historic places in Philadelphia but I want to visit the places you've seen on your recent trip.
~Adrienne~