Monday, November 15, 2021

Word for the Week

 As we get closer to Thanksgiving my mind is thinking about what it means. When we sit around the table at my house we give opportunity for each person to say something that they are thankful for. In most cases it is something that has been given to them. It could be good health or a toy. But recently I saw a sign that said "Give Thanks" and the word "give" just jumped out at me. My word for this year is "receive", but isn't giving a part of receiving? I receive joy in giving.

The definition I found for giving is "Giving, truly, means transferring something to someone else from your possession to theirs, but it can mean so much more!

Yes, it can indeed mean so much more. How does it make you feel to give?

Today I give you the gift of flowers from the Biltmore Estate Gardens and Greenhouse. 

May this small gift put a smile on your face and happiness in your heart for the Thanksgiving season.

















 Happy giving day, dear friends!

6 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

The flowers are stunning, Marilyn. It looks like they were planted with a design. The bright pink and the orange are gorgeous. I really like the photo of the open entrance. I love to give, but I also love to receive. ; ) I just received a Rosary in the mail, and I thought it was wonderful, warmed my heart.

~Sheri

Lorrie said...

Beautiful flowers, Marilyn, and most welcome on a day that has been so rainy and dark.

Adrienne said...

You are right - giving is part of receiving. I immediately thought of a Bible verse that speaks this same thought. "It is more blessed to give than to receive." I always find such blessing in giving and we often give when we don't realize it when we give of ourselves.
~Adrienne~

Jeanie said...

This post is indeed a gift in itself. I love how you turned the phrase on its head. I, too, love the giving part way more than the receiving. I have enough. A lovely post.

Tracy said...

Those flowers! It's like painting with nature. :) What beautiful musings on giving/receiving and what all of that means/can mean. Wishing you & yours a blessings Thanksgiving next week! ((HUGS))

Mary said...

You certainly picked a good time to visit - I recall taking my mother there many years ago in October and it was beautiful too.