Monday, November 8, 2021

Word for the Week

 Nurture

verb definition: to help (something or someone) to grow, develop, or succeed. : to take care of (someone or something that is growing or developing) by providing food, protection, a place to live, etc.

Recently this word has been on my mind; so when also thinking of travel I was reminded of an experience the day we left Washington, DC. That morning we hopped in the car without breakfast so we could get down the road awhile. We had about 4 1/2 hours to drive to get to our next destination in North Carolina. Along the way we stopped at a Starbucks for a chai and pastry. When we got to the front of the line to pay we found out that the car in front of us had paid for our chai and pastry. They "paid it forward" and we were the recipients of that care. What a special gift to receive as we traveled. 

There were several times along the adventure where I felt "nurture" and I will share them in other posts.

We visited with several dear friends in North Carolina and twice were told we should drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway. It wasn't in our plans, but we had a day to travel and we wanted to see some fall/autumn color.  Our next adventure was driving from Greensboro, NC and down the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville, NC; so off we went to find the Blue Ridge Parkway. 

The above picture was our first stop at Cumberland Knob.  Over the fence was a small cemetery, which was quite old. The story was that a young woman was due to deliver a baby, but she felt certain she would die shortly after the delivery. She told someone she wanted to be buried under an apple tree right there. She did die shortly after she delivered the baby and is buried right there.

It was a peaceful place to pause for a cup of tea.

It was a gorgeous day to travel along the ridge too and see Autumn.
Autumn was around every curve.




So if you ever find yourself in the part of the US, I can recommend a drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Nurture your soul with nature surrounding you.

 

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

I've been on the Blue Ridge, and you're right -- it's gorgeous and worth the time and drive. I do love the Carolinas. I don't think I could live there but I do enjoy visiting! I love hearing about your trip!

Lorrie said...

I was on the Blue Ridge in June and it was beautiful. I wish we had taken more time to stop and enjoy the scenery. Nature nurtures our souls in many places.

Red Rose Alley said...

What a pretty area to visit. And the story of the woman delivering her baby really got to me. I'm glad that she was buried under the apple tree where she wanted to be. Autumn is lovely around this neck of the woods. And it looks so peaceful to stop and rest there. That was wonderful that the person in front of you at Starbuck's paid for your order. That has happened to me many times, and I always felt it was a blessing. This was a special post having "nurture" as your word this week. If only people would help others more and take care of their fellow man.

~Sheri

Linda P said...

It's good to know that there are kind people who nurture others, not only those they know but complete strangers as in your example at the drive in refreshment place. The places you visited and the people that you met along the way must have made your trip extra special.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Joy B said...

I've been on the Blue Ridge Parkway, too, and it is a lovely drive. I'm glad you could enjoy it. Being in nature does nurture my soul. Driving around the N. Georgia mountains today, just going to and from lunch, made my soul grateful for the beauty around me.