Friday, January 7, 2022

I See the Moon and the Moon Sees Me

 When I was a young girl growing up in California there were many evenings as the sun went down that I laid back on the grass and watched the sky. I loved seeing the moon and the stars. I still watch many nights and will step out on my front porch just to watch for awhile.

 


 There is an occasional evening I will say to my "live-in gardener", "let's drive to the river to watch the moon come up".  Looking the opposite direction along the river I see the sunset.


I often watch for stars too, but in the city it is hard to see them.


“I See the Moon” song

by Meredith Wilson

Chorus
Over the mountain, over the sea,
Back where my heart is longing to be,
Please let the light that shines on me
Shine on the one I love.

I see the moon; the moon sees me
Down through the leaves of the old oak tree.
Please let the light that shines on me
Shine on the one I love.

I hear the lark; the lark hears me,
Singing a song with a melody.
Please let the lark that sings for me
Sing for the one I love.

I kiss a rose; the rose kisses me,
Fragrant as only a rose can be.
Please let the Rose that comforts me
Comfort the one I love.

When I spot a full moon from my kitchen window I smile and run for my camera. The view isn't always clear, but I can't stop watching. On Susan Branch's blog each year I print her bookmark that gives the full moon dates for the coming year. There is one for me and one for my D. I thought you might like to print one too. Here is the link:https://susanbranch.com/  Look for the November 30, 2021 post and find the link for the full moon bookmark about 2/3rd the way through the post. Enjoy! And join me in watching the moon.

This picture makes me think a large mouth is wanting to gobble up the moon. I wonder how it would taste, maybe like a moon pie? Savor each sighting! And if you find yourself on a warm summer night and a full moon in sight lay on a soft bed of grass and dream awhile.

Happy Weekend, dear friends!

The next full moon is January 17th.

7 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Very cool moon photos, Marilyn. I love to see the moon as well. I'm usually not out late enough to view it, but if I can see it from my front yard, that would be nice. Will have to check out the one on January 17. I really liked the Moon song also.

Have a lovely and peaceful weekend.

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

I love Susan's moon bookmarks, too and also love the moon and try hard to photograph it (and they rarely turn out well). I had never heard that Meredith Wilson song. I like the thought of the branches gobbling the moon!

Laura Morrigan said...

I love seeing the moon and stars! I usually forget what time sunset is and miss it, might have to try to write it down!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading the words to the "I See the Moon" song!
Susan

Mary said...

I recall that 'MOON SONG' - lovely words.
I never get good moon shots with any camera or phone.
Thanks for your get well wishes dear - I hope so much the injections work and I can do things again, sigh!

Lorrie said...

The sky is infinitely fascinating. Some nights, when I can't sleep and come downstairs for a drink of water, I stand at the kitchen window and see the Big Dipper hanging bright, shining for all its worth. Such a glorious sight. I have looked at the moon bookmarks, but have not printed them. Now that we have a colour printer, perhaps I will do so. Thanks for the reminder.

Haddock said...

Yes, I too get the same feeling with "if I see the moon then the moon sees me" and also I see the moon and the same moon is seen by someone else, maybe from some other country, so in some way we are connected.