Monday, January 3, 2022

A Gift for You - A Flower and a Poem

 As you know each Monday for a year I have a theme. The last two years have been to share a word. It is time for something different and a challenge for myself. This year I will share two things each week, a flower and a poem or a word of inspiration just for you. Often I will challenge myself to write a haiku, but sometimes it will be a poem from someone else. I will try to make it a positive one, but I might slip from time to time into something that is a bit uncomfortable. I hope you follow along with me and enjoy 2022 with a flower and a poem.

Witch hazel blooming in my garden right now.
This is a favorite of mine, so I just smile when I see it start blooming in winter.
It reminds me of fireworks, a celebration.
 

 Auld Lang Syne

Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And days of auld lang syne?
For auld lang syne, my dear
For auld lang syne
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
For days of auld lang syne

 

Today really is a poem in song, but so appropriate for the beginning of a new year. I have sung these lyrics many times, but for some reason today the words "a cup of kindness" really just jumped up and grabbed me. Let's remember to celebrate the beginning of each day with "a cup of kindness".

Happy New Year, dear friends!

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

I've never seen witch hazel -- it's lovely. And I believe all songs are poems. Thank you for this one.

Red Rose Alley said...

How wonderful you will share a poem every week, Marilyn. I've always loved poetry, and have wrote a couple poems about my children. And a flower to go along with the poem is even better. Thank you. : )

~Sheri

Anonymous said...

I look forward to each flower, poem or words of inspiration you will share this year! Susan

Linda P said...

I look forward to your Monday blog posts and your interesting insights regarding words and phrases during this year.

Lorrie said...

How lovely to have words and flowers to look forward to each Monday. I always enjoy your posts, Marilyn. Witch hazel is such an interesting tree/plant. Have a good week.

Laura Morrigan said...

Lovely!