Monday, September 5, 2022

A Gift for You - A Flower and a Poem

 

On Saturday I visited Swan Island Dahlia Farm here in Oregon. I snapped about 80 pictures; so I am sure you will see more another day. I felt like the two that showed the sky that day perfectly fit the poem.

Over the Weather

We forget about the spaciousness

above the clouds

but it's up there. The sun's up there too.

When words we hear don't fit the day,

when we worry

what we did or didn't do,

what if we close our eyes,

say any word we love

that makes us feel calm,

slip it into the atmosphere

and rise?

Cream miles of quiet,

Giant swoop of blue.

~Naomi Shihab Nye


 

Do you love dahlias? More and more I have fallen in love with them.

It was a perfect day to wander the farm full of flowers.

Dear ones, Go out there and find a flower and spacious skies today and ENJOY!

6 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Yes, I love Dahlias! The are unusually pretty and look sturdy too. The Dahlia Farm sounds nice, Marilyn. Something I would love to visit. I really like the poem you shared also.

Have a good September week, Marilyn.

~Sheri

**Oh, the photos of your grandson below are wonderful treasures. He's getting bigger each time I see pictures on your blog.

Lorrie said...

Oh yes, I love dahlias and have about 8 plants in my garden. They are so lovely just now and I enjoy clipping them and making bouquets for the house. To visit a dahlia farm would be glorious with all the varieties to see. It's good to remember the spacious skies when things look a little glum, literally or figuratively. Have a good week, Marilyn.

Linda P said...

A walk through fields of dahlias would be a joyful experience. You've shared photos that illustrate the poem well. I'm often transported far away in my imagination when I look up into the sky. Yesterday the sky here was blue and there were wispy clouds because there was a breeze. Today there are patches of blue with clouds that might bring rain showers. We need the rain so I'm feeling positive about the weather. Have a wonderful day Marilyn.

Laura said...

I'll bet that was a wonderful place and really love your photographs. I hope to see more. That poem is lovely and makes me want to take a blanket and go lie on the grass and watch the clouds float by.

love & magicks
~*~

Terra said...

I love dahlias too, for their variety in size of flower and for their colors. They grow where I live and someone brings in the large ones, Dinner Plate Dahlias, to the local coffee shop to brighten the shop counter. What fun for you to wander the dahlia fields.

Laura Morrigan said...

Love the flowers and poem