Monday, September 12, 2022

A Gift for You - A Flower and A Poem

 

 Flower in my garden this morning after a soft night time rain.

 Not exactly a poem today, but something to think on. This came to me just yesterday as I sat in church. Interestingly the message was on grief and this is what I began thinking about. Sometimes as we get older we might feel unseen, some grief and a bit "shabby"; but as the quote says it does take a long time to become "Real". I feel like each day I become more "Real".

“It doesn’t happen all at once,” said the Skin Horse. “You become. It takes a long time. That’s why it doesn’t happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly, except to people who don’t understand.”  from the Velveteen Rabbit

Here I am with this flower in the garden.

My shirt says "Here's to strong women, may we know them, may we be them, may we raise them."

As a strong woman, may we accept our flaws, our imperfections, and become more "Real" each and every day.
 

4 comments:

Lorrie said...

The Velveteen Rabbit is a wonderful story, not just for children. Sometimes I feel like becoming older means losing some of my "realness", and I have to be intentional about not letting that happen.

Jeanie said...

I'll never catch up with all I missed but I have to say how much I adore your wonderful smiling photo! AND, many, many belated thanks for the gorgeous birthday card. I love your teabag art!

Red Rose Alley said...

Marilyn, I really liked the Velveteen Rabbit verse. And you know something.....I used to have a plaque in my house with these same words, "here's to strong women." Through the years and with so many moves, I gave it away, but I'll always remember those words. Thank you for letting me hear them again.

A happy September week to you. You have such a warm smile. And you are a "real" lady in so many ways. : )

~Sheri

Laura Morrigan said...

Here's to strong women indeed!