Friday, November 18, 2022

Portland Japanese Garden and Art

Most often I share the Lan Su Chinese Garden with you because I have a membership at that garden and love to visit for tea and a quiet walk. It is easy for me to get there and find parking. But once a year they offer a reciprocal free visit to the Portland Japanese Garden and this year it was in November. So recently my "live-in gardener" and I decided to visit on a weekday early morning. We thought it wouldn't be busy, but was I ever wrong. There must have been a hundred photographers out to photograph a cool, fall morning in the garden. It was the perfect autumn morning for just that, taking pictures!

We were greeted by the beautiful ceramic piece in the first picture and I said "I don't remember that in the garden". Well we were soon to learn that Jun Kaneko's art pieces were on show. What a perfect fit in the garden. I loved them all. The exhibit was Garden of Resonance, sculptures to blend into the garden with different, mesmerizing ceramic shapes. The one that greeted me just felt like it belonged there permanently. It was described as simulating Delphware, allowing the blue to run down that structure like a garment woven of water.

On this second structure he experimented with a technique he learned in the Netherlands, where the colors were allowed to run. This is a Dango with Kanedo's signature dots.

But what the photographer's were here to take a picture of was this tree. The sign said, "The Tree" and they were lined up to snap away. Now I did not line up, but took this one snap from the side. Yes, it was beautiful, but to tell you the truth I thought many of the trees were beautiful that day.

The light was magnificent.

Even the view through the teahouse window was stunning.






There were people everywhere snapping pictures.

A glimpse inside of more ceramic art by Jun Kaneko.
To learn more about Jun Kanedo and see his versatility in art go to: https://www.junkaneko.com/

The Japanese Garden in itself is a "work of art". It was originally founded 60 years ago to connect cultures and nurture the role art plays in a garden. I do believe they have achieved that quite beautifully.

 Hoping you have opportunity to be outdoors and enjoy a beautiful autumn day wherever you live.

Happy Weekend, dear friends!

Bundle up and go outdoors.

4 comments:

Lorrie said...

These are truly beautiful autumn days. I love those ceramic sculptures and the way they meld into the garden so well. I've not been to a garden recently, but on lots of walks. A trip to Butchart should be in the plan, I think. Have a good weekend, Marilyn.

Linda P said...

You are blessed to have the Japanese garden in your city. You get the sense of tranquility walking there from your photos. The ceramics are beautifully placed and the trees are spectacular. I think of your husband's interest in the art of growing bonsai trees. I wish you both a happy weekend.

Jeanie said...

How lovely to have a reciprocal day. I love the view from the tea house and that waterfall most of all. But the color is especially beautiful. What a grand fall we've all seemed to have had.

Jeanne said...

Beautiful gardens
So lovely '
Blessings
'