Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Marbelized Eggs

Tammy yesterday commented on the Marbelized Eggs; so I thought I would share the recipe with you. The recipe comes from a small book put out by the Sri Lankan Tea Board on Ceylon Tea. I received it at a past World Tea Expo, tea tasting on teas from Sri Lanka.
Marbled Eggs
Ingredients
6 eggs
4 cups water
3 tbsps Ceylon black tea leaves
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp crushed pepper corns
1 stick cinnamon
6 cloves
**
Hard boil the eggs and cool under running water. Crack the eggs lightly and evenly. Bring the 4 cups of water to boil, add tea leaves, pepper, spices, and salt. Add the eggs and simmer 30 minutes. Keep overnight and remove shells. Note: they suggest serving in a salad, I just served separately in a bowl.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

What a good idea and it sounds so easy. This might make a nice Saturday project and then turn them into deviled eggs. I bet the color variation would be great depending on the tea used.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this follow up post...what an interesting method of deocrating eggs...they really do look marbelized!

Steph said...

I've made these and loved them! However, I had trouble with the peeling of the egg. The thin skin wanted to come off, and removed much of the marbling. Did you have this trouble?

Marilyn Miller said...

I had trouble with one of the eggs, but the others worked great.