Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Child in a Garden


A Child in a Garden
Once I had just half an hour
To frolic by myself;
Presto! By a lilac bush
I changed into an elf.

I whispered to a ladybird,
"I really am a child!"
But the disbelieving thing
Shrugged its wings and smiled.

A dusty bumblebee and I
Robbed the honey crocks
Of the Canterbury bells
And the hollyhocks.

And beneath a pansy plant-
A place no grown-up knows-
I pirouetted with an ant
On my elfin toes.

Then down the spice-pink-bordered path
Mother came for me;
The elf became a little girl
Ready for her tea.

from Kitchen Sonnets
by
Ethel Romig Fuller


8 comments:

Adrienne said...

What a cute poem. See you real soon! ~Adrienne~

Angela McRae said...

Oh, I love this poem, especially as I am growing Cathedral bells (wonder if that's similar to Canterbury bells?) and hollyhocks in my tea garden right now!

parTea lady said...

Beautiful photos - that violet is such a brilliant color and the little girl looks so sweet. Thanks for the nice poem too.

Bernideen said...

What a cutie she is! Lovely poem!

La Tea Dah said...

Pure delight!

somepinkflowers said...

perfection!


this happens to me
with alarming regularity
over here
--->
'''I changed into an elf.'''


:-)



glad to know
it is not just
me.


Laurie said...

How totally precious!! And the pictures are awesome. The pansy is so clear it appears to be jumping off the page! Great post Marilyn!

Mary said...

Adorable!!!

Love it so much and thanks for sharing the poem and pics.