Friday, June 25, 2010

Tea in the Greenhouse

 

 

 

 
Though the greenhouse is not done, it still makes a lovely place to sit with a friend and have tea.
This week Adrienne from With a Grateful Heart came to have tea in my garden.
Our weather being what it has been, I decided to set it up with the protection of the greenhouse.
As it was it was a perfect afternoon, but we still enjoyed sitting there and sharing two small pots of tea, lemon verbena cookies, and some fruit.  Adrienne has been wanting to learn more about tea; so I made a lovely oolong from Taiwan and then Golden Monkey from China.  Tea in the greenhouse was a real treat
and one I hope to enjoy on many occasions.


Lemon Verbena Cookies
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
4-6 Tablespoons fresh lemon verbena (or other herb), finely chopped
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine flour, lemon verbena, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.
In large bowl, beat butter for 30 seconds.
Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla and beat until combined.
Add remaining mixture, stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
Gently place in foil in a long snake about 2" around, wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour or more.
1/4" slice and place on ungreased cookie sheet about 2" apart.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
Cool on wire racks.  Makes about 30-40 cookies.
Visit With a Grateful Heart for more details and pictures.

20 comments:

Tracy said...

Thank you for this gracious & lovely tea time repast, Marilyn... lovely way to end the week! Happy Weekend ((HUGS))

koralee said...

Soooooo pretty...can I come join you! I wish I had a spot like this...heaven. xoxo

Adrienne said...

Oh, it was wonderful! Thank you, again, my friend. What a delightful way to spend time together!

Angela McRae said...

Your greenhouse is going to be one of my favorite places to cyber-visit, so I hope you'll write about it often! How wonderful that your friend was able to join you there for tea!

tea time and roses said...

Oh how I wish I could have been there to join in with the two of you.:o) I can imagine just how wonderful it was. You lucky girl you! Thanks for the recipe. Continue to enjoy your greenhouse, friends and summer.

Smiles....

Beverly

parTea lady said...

Your greenhouse tea was lovely. What a pretty table setting and gorgeous pink roses.

Thank you for the cookie recipe too.

Linda Jennings said...

Oh my! This is so lovely! What a perfect place for tea!

Bernideen said...

I see a really fun spot here - it looks like an old stone foundation made into a green house. I probably don't know what I am talking about! I think it is charming!

Dutchbaby said...

I love how you created a fancy mood in a simple setting. The linens, the china, the garden roses with the delicate chairs and table are all so perfect, especially with the blue light shining through the glass.

I'm sure it all tasted divine. I'm going to dangle this recipe in front of my daughter and see if she feels like making it for us :)

Anonymous said...

I wish I could join with you.You have a lovely place to enjoy your vacation.Especially the blue light attract me so much.Thank you for such a delightful post.
garden greenhouses

Anonymous said...

Your tea times in your greenhouse are so inviting!

And your lemon verbena cookies are one of my favorites. I made your recipe last week and have been nibbling on them daily with a cup of tea.

marthae

D said...

Marilyn, I LUV your greenhouse! A cup of tea in the afternoon... hm, sounds like a grand idea for today in our little tea room. Have a wonderful Sunday.

La Tea Dah said...

Lovely setting, delicious recipe, wonderful friendship = a perfect day!

And the ribbon hung teacup and saucer --- similar to Martha's spoonfuls tea --- provides the perfect signature and accent to the day.

Thank you for sharing with us!
LaTeaDah

Celia said...

Thank you for a lovely tea....what a beautiful place to sit and sip tea....please come by and have tea with me too....

Rhonda Roo said...

Well I came to see a tea party but stayed for the songs in my soul-what a delight if the heart you are!

Your whole blog IS Tea..and Strong Women...and in the Garden...and songs...what more could one want?

Except that greenhouse. I am swooning (and *green* with envy tee hee)

I added you to my sidebar-you are now a twinklestar in my book :)

Have a lovely wonderful delightful week!
XOXO Rhonda Roo
http://roostreehouse.typepad.com/

Ginger said...

What a lovely tea! Everything looks so pretty.

Dutchbaby said...

Just had to pop over here from Relyn's. You lived with the flower children in SF??? I had you more straight-laced than that!

Relyn Lawson said...

Lucky Adrienne. Your greenhouse is wonderful already. And, your pictures are gorgeous. I especially love that pop of red in the first image.

kimberly shaw said...

What a very sweet setting you created. Love the hanging teacup at the door, the fruit kabobs, and the charming plates. It must have been a special time.

Thanks for sharing the delicious recipe for the cookies.

Mary said...

Love the greenhouse setting - that's a great photo!

Know it was a wonderful tea lesson for your friend - and glad the sun was shining.

Hugs, Mary