Monday, June 28, 2010

Strong Women - Abigail Adams


Abigail Adams

1744-1818


Wife of John Adams, the second president of the United States.  She is often known for hanging her laundry inside the White House.  However, she was also a strong advocate of equal public education for women and emancipation of African-American slaves.  Beside raising 5 children and keeping the "home fires" going, she was an influential voice in politics.  Through writing letters she let her voice be known to her husband and others in government positions.   Thomas Jefferson succeeded her husband as president and was the recipient of many letters from Abigail.  Though her letters were well received by those that received them, the advice given was not always taken.  After her death, her letters were published in the first book about a First Lady.  The book and letters were a great source of early United States development.  Her son, John Quincy Adams, became the 6th president of the United States.  She didn't live to see this, but would have been thrilled.  The strength that impressed me came from her influence through letter writing.  What an impact she had on the early development of the United States.

Quotes from Abigail Adams:

If we mean to have heroes, statesmen and philosophers, we should have learned women.

Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and diligence.

We have too many high-sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them.

Well, knowledge is a fine thing, and mother Eve thought so; but she smarted so severely for hers, that most of her daughters have been afraid of it since.

7 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

We are in the middle of watching the series on John Adams that was originally made for HBO (we ordered it on Netflix). I am so impressed with Abigail Adams!

Tracy said...

I'm a admirer of Abigail Adams--a great female role model if ever there was! Last year I read/reviewed at my main blog "My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail & John Adams--one of the best books I've read along with J. Adams biography. Here is my post link if you'd like to read: http://pinkpurl.typepad.com/pink_purl/2009/11/my-dearest-friendabigail-and-john-adams.html Wonderful post, Marilyn! Happy Week ((HUGS))

Laurie said...

You've renewed my desire to learn more of our first ladies impact on our country. I think they have had more to say than given credit for. Great post, and a wonderful woman.

belinda in SC said...

Laura Linney's portrayal of Abigail in the mini series was so strong and real. My husband sobbed wgen she died.

Relyn Lawson said...

I'm with Abigail, we have to have educated women (and men) to have a sound society.

Sheila said...

I know very little about the women behind the American presidents.
Jackie Kennedy was probably the first one to catch my attention.
I found this post very interesting, thanks for writing and sharing this.
I will go back and read your other Strong Women posts.
hugs
xx

kimberly shaw said...

Of all the women I've learned about, Abigail Adams is my favorite. Your strong women posts are wonderful.