Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Summertime

Magnolia's remind me of live'n in the south and the song Summertime.
Now I never lived in the south, but I have images of hot sweltery days,
sitting under a magnolia tree, fanning myself.

One summer when I was in high school I cleaned house for the doctor that delivered me.
My home only played classical and religious music.
That summer the sound track to Porgy and Bess was playing as I cleaned and I fell in love.
I had never heard anything like it.
Summertime still remains one of my favorites, oh do I love that music.

Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high

Oh, Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry

One of these mornings
You're going to rise up singing
Then you'll spread your wings
And you'll take to the sky

But until that morning
There's a'nothing can harm you
With your daddy and mammy standing by

Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high

Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/g/george_gershwin/#share

Thanks, George Gershwin!

9 comments:

Patti said...

Okay, so I must comment about both things you talked about. First of all, I am from the South (currently not living there, though, but praying to return). I had a beloved magnolia tree in my front yard, and it did, indeed, provide delightful shade to my west-facing front yard. I LOVE magnolias and have included them in the "about me" section of my profile as one of my great loves.

Also, my daughter plays the piano, and she LOVES the music of George Gershwin. What a fun song that is.

Have a lovely, blessed day.

Patti (Fill My Cup with Beauty)

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Marilyn, I too love the magnolias. And, "Porgy and Bess" has always been a favorite of ours. Just love all the songs. I miss those old musicals a lot.

Angela McRae said...

What a glorious photo! And now you've got me humming Gershwin ... Summertime ... la da da da da DA da ...

parTea lady said...

Your magnolia photo is beautiful. I like that song too.

Adrienne said...

Love that Gerswin tune! I'm ready for some summertime, my friend. ~Adrienne~

Steph said...

HI! What a fabulous photo! I had the great good fortune to hear Summertime performed twice in my home by Amanda Biggs, an amazing singer who just graduated with her master's in opera performance. She was my former neighbor. What a great memory for me, too! It's such a good song. Hope the Expo was fun.

PeggyR said...

That is lovely. It made me cry, but my husband had a bleeder stroke yesterday, so it's easy for me to cry right now...

SE'LAH... said...

Love, love, love Magnolias. Have you ever watched birds get drunk from the red pods?

Relyn Lawson said...

This image is perfect. Really, really beautiful!