Friday, June 19, 2020

When I was hungry you gave me Food


From Matthew 25 in the bible:
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat,
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink,
"I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me,
I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

You might think "what is this little cupboard doing with books in it
in connection to the above verse"?
As I walk in my neighborhood more of these little libraries are popping up,
more little veggie gardens along the sidewalk too.
The fascinating thing I am finding in some of the little libraries is food.
Boxes and cans of food, plus homemade masks.
The generosity of those around me touches my heart.
Is this happening in your part of the world?
I have a feeling there are many generous hearts out there
caring for their neighbors, friends, and even those they don't know.
Oh yes, I have even found a book or two to bring home.


Have a wonderful weekend, dear friends!
For a peaceful moment watch the video from the Lan Su Chinese Gardens this week.
Jeanie, they have named the heron Harold.
Wondering if he is related to your Harry?

8 comments:

50 and counting said...

Not in my cul de sac.

At the start of this, way back in March, someone did have masks on a board outside their house.

No clapping, nothing.

It was a bit bleak going out to the hospital everyday and then coming home and reading FB posts or blogs about how much was being read/knit/baked during peoples quarantines. Knowing that tomorrow, I got to get up and go back into a hospital and be treated with fear and hostility by patients who were terrified we were going to give them the virus.

Laurie said...

I have found during this pandemic many people are opening their hearts to those in need. I find that very comforting at a time when compassion and love is so desperately needed. The perfect bible verse!

Terra said...

I have seen a bit of food in our neighborhood Little Free Libraries, free books and food, how kind. Our church is giving away hundreds of bags of food twice a week to those who come to our office. People are doing good things all around the USA and the world too.

Jeanie said...

I love the little libraries. I'd like to have one but I don't know how! We haven't seen food in ours but many people would post "I have canned goods in my driveway this week for whomever wants them" and this week one woman has had peonies every day on a table in her yard for whomever wants them.

Linda P said...

I feel sorry that our charity (thrift) shops have been closed and are still closed. Buying from them helped maintain good causes that need our support. I loved a browse and would buy second hand items mostly books. I've heard that a few centres distribute garments and food to those in need but need thought, hard work by volunteers, social distance and thorough cleaning measures to manage them. There are kind acts going on in every neighbourhood during these challenging times. I'm sure they will continue as people have generous and compassionate hearts.

mamasmercantile said...

I love the idea of books. Yes, there is a lot of generosity locally with food, treats and such. Long may this last. Beautiful verse.

Lorrie said...

What a kind and thoughtful idea to include other necessities beyond books in the little libraries. Food for the body as well as for the soul.

Red Rose Alley said...

That is so thoughtful of the neighbors to put in food along with books at the library cupboard. I think those cupboards are so cool. Although, I don't think I would enjoy them right now with the virus going on. Still, it's a nice idea, especially the masks, which some people might need. I love the Matthew verse. Thanks for sharing it today, Marilyn.

~Sheri