Saturday, June 6, 2020

Hidden Passages



My home is located in an older inner city neighborhood of Portland, Oregon
and yet when you see these pictures you will think I am in a country village.
The picture just below is where I have begun my walks lately.
At one point it narrows behind the fences of neighbors,
but still I travel through.
It is fascinating to discover the back side of homes and gardens.
I even discovered a ceramic studio, but when I carried my camera yesterday
she was closed. I will capture her at work another day for you.
Behind a church sits a beautiful place to pause.
A flower escaping through the fence.
My favorite "I spy" moment is this secret garden,
the entrance from the back to several sweet apartments.
I could see myself living there.
Much of the alleys look like this with garages and fences,
turns in the road.
As I came out to the street there was a pony parked along the curb of the street.
Many years ago when people still used horses there were iron rings put in the concrete.
Look closely and you will see it.
People have since attached little ponies to the rings just for smiles.
This one I found just yesterday as I walked.
And all along the way there were surprise flowers tucked here and there.
Secret passages and the delights of discoveries makes my child heart happy.
As a child I would have spent hours walking these passages,
searching for surprises and delights.
I know there are those that walk on the passage alley behind our house
just because they love seeing our gardenhouse and flowers.
The view from our alley into the gardenhouse.
Oh I spy my "live-in gardener" there.

Happy weekend, dear friends!
Hope you can get out to do your own discoveries.

7 comments:

Jeanie said...

It reminds me of the little lanes of hedgerows in England. What a beautiful walk it is, Marilyn. A little peek into people's worlds! If I ever get to Portland we shall have to walk here!

Terra said...

Oh I would definitely like to take that walk with you and see all the hidden treasures, and the pony tied up. It gives the feel of a small village, you are right. Hello from your neighbor down south in coastal California.

Laurie said...

I would love to walk the paths in your neighborhood Marilyn, so beautiful and looks so peaceful. I love the pony and the story behind the rings! Awesome Marilyn, even your live in gardener!!

susan hemann said...

such fun!!!

Mary said...

J looks so relaxed and comfortable there - tell him Bob and I say "Hello".
Such an interesting walk behind the houses - thanks for taking us along. I would love to have that fountain BTW -
Mary x

Red Rose Alley said...

Secret passages are always interesting to walk through. And I love alleys. It's one of the reasons why we named our blog that. Alleys are mysterious and fun. You never know what you're going to come across. ; ) What a lovely walk you took us on today, Marilyn. And an enchanting horse you found.

~Sheri

Angela McRae said...

Oh, I love these hidden alleys and passageways. I can never see a garden gate without imagining the delights beyond it!