Wednesday, March 4, 2020

The Gordon House

As I walked up the road this was my first glimpse of the Gorden House.
 Surrounding the home were majestic oaks overlooking the area.
The clouds hovering over the hills were quite beautiful
and created a sense of stillness and quiet for me. 
There was no one around and I loved the respite of the walk.
 Spring was starting to shows it's lovely face.


 Please read the description below, but can you guess who designed this unique house?
An architect that has always intrigued me.


 The front entrance.
 I love the windows above.
 Just a peek in the window.
We can see clear through to the outdoors on the other side.
 Flowering currant.
 Such a fascinating home.
From Wikipedia: The Gordon House is a residence designed by influential architect Frank Lloyd Wright, now located within the Oregon Garden, in Silverton, Oregon. It is an example of Wright's Usonian vision for America. It is one of the last of the Usonian series that Wright designed as affordable housing for American working class consumers, which—in 1939—were considered to have an annual income of $5,000–6,000.[3] The house is based on a design for a modern home commissioned by Life magazine in 1938.

The house was started in 1959 and completed in 1963. When Mrs. Gorden died in the 1980's the house was going to be torn down, but was rescued and moved to it's present location at the Oregon Garden.  Since I was in Silverton, Oregon on Saturday I decided to take a walk and explore the outside of the house, but didn't have the time to go inside. It is surrounded by beautiful oak trees on the side of the gentle slope on the edge of Silverton. A lovely place for a Saturday walk/stroll with my camera. 

A last glimpse as I leave with oaks and clouds surrounding it.
Hope you enjoyed this visit to Gordon House.

8 comments:

Jeanie said...

I guessed it! We have a Usonian home here which, a number of years ago, I was able to enjoy inside and out -- a great story and serendipitous one. But it has many similar exterior features. Wright is a fascinating fellow. Did you see Ken Burns' documentary on him years ago? Very quirky and intriguing. His homes are beautiful but I'm not sure I could live in one under his guidelines!

Jeanie said...

I meant to add that the gardens are really beautiful and I think it's wonderful it is open to the public. Well done, saving this spot.

Sandi said...

I guessed Frank Lloyd Wright!

Lorrie said...

I guessed the architect! I'm glad the house was saved and it certainly looks lovely nestled into its woodland setting.

Mary said...

Yes, I recognized it immediately! His work was awesome in many ways but too contemporary for me - I would not feel comfortable and cozy!

Beautiful setting and glad the house was rescued from the wrecker's ball! Lovely scenery, thanks for sharing your walk Marilyn.

mamasmercantile said...

It does look quite beautiful and so settled in its stunning surroundings.

Linda P said...

I can understand why your walk to see the house was a good experience as the woodland adds to the charm. The architect's philosophy is interesting and he sounds like someone who had an important influence on architectural style. A worthy cause (affordable housing) although this example is rather large and complex I expect it could be scaled down and architectural ideas used to create a comfortable dwelling. I'm glad it was saved and moved to this beautiful setting.

Rosemary said...

Thank you for taking us along on this serene visit! Wright's architecture is certainly notable and awe inspiring. Fallingwaters is in western PA and we have visited that home in the past. How he incorporates nature into the surroundings is fascinating.