Monday, March 23, 2020

Word for the Day - 2020

Perfume
   Pictured from my garden is daphne, with a fragrance 
like perfume that I can smell from a distance.
 
Now I have never liked perfume
and I hate walking into big stores with the perfume counters at the entrance.
In reading Simple Abundance (again) by Sarah Ban Breathnach
this year each day I am finding something to think on.
Yesterday she talked about perfume.
No, not the perfume you might splash on to smell good,
but the perfume you exude such as the perfume of success
or the perfume of sadness.
There are many scents we send out depending on 
how we are inside.
She also talked about "borrowing the scent of...."
Sometimes we don't feel much like happiness or success,
but we must take a mental evaluation and somewhere find 
it in us and borrow it by bringing it forward.

What scent are you sending out today?
Is it one of being scared and sad?
 That is probably me right now with this virus running rapid.
That is when I have to step out my door and notice what I notice.
I look at the color of the sky, the clouds, the spring blossoms,
the grass going crazy in my yard.
I can see my neighbors from a distance spending time with family
in their yards and talking over fences with their neighbors.
These are the fragrances, the perfumes, of kindness and joy.

Take care, dear friends!
Let's do our best each and every day to send out the fragrance, the perfume, 
whether it is online, over the phone, or across a fence today.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

Beautiful words to ponder. I'm sending out stress smell today, I fear. Stress and exhaustion.

I need to whip that book out again if I can figure what shelf it is double-stacked on. I have always loved that one. And now is a grand time to revisit it.

Red Rose Alley said...

What a wonderful word today. Yes, my perfume is a bit worrisome right now. But I try to get out each day and smell the fresh air and visit nature and notice the unique things, like the sheep getting out of someone's yard and roaming the neighborhood! It's these things right now that make our days pleasant, and Yes, a cup of tea is calming to our days too. : )

~Sheri