Monday, March 16, 2020

Word for the Day - 2020

Word
Words can tell a story or inform us.
The sign is a historic sign in downtown Portland.
The words mark the spot and tell us where you are.
In yesterday's newspaper I read an interview with Barbara Kingsolver,
a definite word spinner, a novelist, screenwriter and poet.
She says, "Words are heady beings when they dance."
I love the way words can dance for us.
They entertain.
She referred to books of poetry as "absinthe", rather addicting.
She gave the mind picture of words to describe like,
chicken vs. poultry; kids vs. descendants; workshop vs. laboratory.
Though they may mean the same thing, the romance of a word chosen
creates a dance in our mind.
She goes on to say, "I can still feel how the word cracked open into my brain,
spilling out color and taste."
A fascinating interview just read this morning.
 On a recent day drive I came across the sign below and yes,
those words just made me smile. I had to stop and take a picture.
They lightened the day.
Words can make us smile or they can bring tears to our eyes.
They have great power.
Wikipedia says,"a word of a spoken language can be defined as the smallest sequence of phonemes that can be uttered in isolation with objective or practical meaning.

In these days of sadness and struggle, let's remember that the words that come
from our mouth can have a great impact on those around us.
Sending out love and a happy dancing heart to each of you today.
Take care, dear friends, and a have a good week.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

I love that. Tomorrow I will go to my small local market. They may well be out of things but unless I have to go to a larger store, I'll stick there. They are a few blocks away and do their best to serve us well. I will do the same for them.

Red Rose Alley said...

You are very clever with your word for the day, Marilyn. I love it! Yes, words are powerful. They can either bring one down, or lift one up. That sign you came across is unique and says a lot.

I hope your week is a good one, Marilyn.

~Sheri