Saturday, March 21, 2020

Wake Early

Why I Wake Early

Hello, sun in my face.
Hello, you who make the morning
and spread it over the fields
and into the faces of the tulips
and the nodding morning glories,
and into the windows of, even, the
miserable and the crotchety-

best preacher that ever was,
dear star, that just happens
to be where you are in the universe
to keep us from ever-darkness,
to ease us with warm touching,
to hold us in the great hands of light-
good morning, good morning, good morning.

Watch, now, how I start the day
in  happiness, in kindness.

 ~Mary Oliver

What can I say
Words have left me as we isolate in our homes.
I pray you are all staying well.
I try to greet the morning with kindness,
but some mornings it is hard when I look at the news.
I keep telling myself this will pass
and the tulips will bloom soon.
Walking each day is my sanity.
Noticing spring time in my neighborhood brings me joy.
Take care dear ones!
Sending love! 

Picture taken in 2017 at sunrise
on the Willamette River in downtown Portland.
The blossoms are blooming there now
and I imagine them looking much like this.

5 comments:

Lorrie said...

Dear Marilyn,
Yes, these are difficult times. Worrying times. May God grant you his peace as you lean hard on him.
Beautiful poem.

Jeanie said...

You said it just perfectly, Marilyn. And a beautiful photo and perfect Mary poem, too.

Tracy said...

Ah, Mary Oliver... *sigh*... Have you noticed how poetry is is extra soothing these days, how much we need it? We need beauty extra much... Be keeping safe and well, my friend ((LOVE & HUGS))

Linda P said...

Hello Marilyn. Beautiful photos of the blossom, lamplight and river at night.
Peace be with you and your loved ones.

Red Rose Alley said...

This is a very cool picture, Marilyn.

Stay well, my Oregon friend. ; )

~Sheri