Saturday, June 5, 2021

On the Wild Side

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature.” ― Henry David Thoreau, Walden: Or, Life in the Woods
Recently my "live-in gardener" and I went exploring on Sauvie Island. The island is about 1/2 hour drive from our home and on the Columbia River and Willamette River. We stopped by the farm store and bought our first Oregon strawberries, which are soooo good. But then we decided to explore a dirt road we had not been on before. There were wild roses, a killdeer bird by the road, more birds, and even a duck blind. Now I want to go back and just sit for awhile in the duck blind and watch the day go by. Being in nature just soothes my soul and I want to either sit quietly and soak in the day or dance in a field of clover while picking a bouquet of wild flowers. I must return here soon and do just that. It is good for me and I have a feeling it would be good for anyone to dance in wildness. Happy weekend, dear friends! Now go out and dance or sit quietly in nature.

3 comments:

Laura said...

that looks like a wonderful adventure...
love, kisses & magical wishes...
~*~

Red Rose Alley said...

I did just that today, Marilyn.....sit quietly in nature. I drove to the creek, and there is always birds and flowers and butterflies and peace. That's nice that you got to visit the island, and you found a dirt road with many interesting things to see. It's nice to have a place to go back to if you ever want to dance in wildness. ; )

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

This looks like a wonderful field trip, Marilyn. Lots of gorgeous sites there!