Monday, June 28, 2021

Word for the Week

 

Right now here in Oregon we are having the worst heat wave in history. It is suppose to hit 113-115 today. All I can think of is how to survive this heat. Most of us don't have AC because we haven't needed it in the past. In my house we have two window units and one nice fan, which is keeping my house in the 80's. All I can think of is to keep the house dark and remain still. Not much movement is happening except to cool off by a fan. It almost feels like the beginning of the pandemic where it was so quiet and no one was about. I was at the market at 7AM just so I wouldn't have to go out in the heat of the day.

Home again and popsicles made of fruit juice and coconut water, plus dinner will be gazpacho (cold soup). The gazpacho is chilling in the refrigerator along with a couple cheeses and fruit.

Since my car has AC we went for a drive on Saturday and ended up here. Even on the farm it was quiet and no tractors were moving. Everything was "still".

The meaning of still (adjective): not moving or making a sound.

 

The only movement was the bees busy gathering pollen for the honey sold at the farm.

Yes, we came home with honey and cherries.





On a cooler day I could imagine sitting quietly at this table sipping my cup of tea and smelling the flowers. But for today I will remain in my quiet, still house sipping iced tea, water, or savoring a popsicle in my freezer. I think one thing I love about sipping a cup of tea as it causes me to sit still and ponder the day.

What do you do to stay cool on a hot summer day?

Do you find yourself sitting still?

PS: Sorry I didn't have a second post last week. I just couldn't think of anything, but remaining still and cool.

7 comments:

Lorrie said...

This heat is incredible. I have the house shut up, and a fan blowing. When I get too warm, I go out to the travel trailer where we have air conditioning. But there's not much I can do out there besides read. I made gazpacho for last night's supper and will have some for my lunch. Staying still is important. Take care, Marilyn.

Red Rose Alley said...

Marilyn, that field of Purple is beautiful. And the close up photo of the flowers is really nice too. You know, STILL is one of my favorite words,
and something I have done in the past few years. It is a good word, and the world is sometimes busy and hectic and rushed, and sitting still with a cup of tea sounds perfect. I can't believe it's going to get that hot where you are. Do try to stay cool, Marilyn. It's a hot one here too, upper 90's, and I don't have ac yet, but next year planning to get it. Your popsicles sound refreshing on this hot Summer day.

~Sheri

Mary said...

Bob and I have been thinking of you - I just knew you'd post about this unbelievable for your area heatwave!
Be careful and stay inside - at least you have some A/C and a fan, thank goodness.
We do often have heat here but can't say I recall it above perhaps 108F which is also unbearable.
Gazpacho sounds perfect - popsicles too! If you have a World Market store look for Fentiman's Botanically Brewed 'Rose Lemonade' from England - throw a few bottles in the freezer for a while (don't forget them though!) - a delicious, refreshing, non alcoholic drink which is best in the heat, but looks/tastes like sparkling rose wine!!! CHEERS!
Take care dear - Mary

Linda P said...

Your heatwave sounds challenging Marilyn. When the temperature gets that high I'm reminded of the times we were at home in Italy during July and August. The coolest areas of the house were the ground floor rooms. The blinds we're drawn and cool floor-to-ceiling tiles helped make such days bearable. No air conditioning indoors was a disadvantage. Being used to a temperate climate I retreated to shady garden areas to sit and read. It was a good idea for you to go to the farm early in the morning and it was worth the trip to get honey and cherries. At such times cool drinks to keep hydrated and thirst quenching fruit such as melons I've found to be very welcome. Still is a good word as staying still and relaxed during extreme weather conditions is a must. I hope your heatwave doesn't last too long. Climate change is causing problems and many are experiencing either a drought or a flood. Take care dear friend.

mamasmercantile said...

My goodness that is some heat, stay still and try to keep cool. Beautiful photos.

Jeanie said...

I don't have air either, Marilyn. There are about five days a year that I would turn it on if I had it. Your power grid must be pretty strained these days with people trying to cool down. You did the smart thing -- go for a drive! And it looks like a fun time and bringing home some tasty things, too! I have little energy when it's that hot. Actually, I don't think it's ever been that hot here -- the most, maybe high 90s and humid so the heat index is in the 100s but not the temp. If I'm at the lake I go jump in it. Stand in cold showers. Eat cold things and not do a heck of a lot -- read or stay in (or in shade). I hope it breaks for you soon, without power loss or fires.

Adrienne said...

That was quite a weekend, for sure. We have window a.c. units on each end of the house and a fan to help move the air in the middle of our house. We stayed fairly comfortable inside with window coverings closed and 'cold' meals planned. I've been catching up again after a couple of times away from home and busy days once we returned. This seems to be a pattern for me!
~Adrienne~