Friday, August 6, 2021

My Grandpa's Apple

  Once upon a time this was my grandpa's orchard, then it was passed to my aunt and uncle, and now it belongs to my sister and her family. Yes, my grandpa spent many hours here both pruning and picking Gravenstein apples; but also nurturing beehives.

So recently it was a thrill when my mailman delivered a box of 11 Gravenstein apples from these trees. What an amazing treat. My sister thought I would love to make an apple pie once more from this orchard in California. Indeed, I did! I now have one pie in the freezer for a cooler day. I want to really savor it on a cool day when the house can fill with the scent of apple and cinnamon baking.

 An apple tart made once upon a time.

In the meantime I picked out the biggest apple that had the stripes I admire and carried it to my grandson with my story. Being an older grandmother I want very much to pass my stories on to my D and the apples tell a story of family and growing up running through these very grounds and devouring the perfect apple from these trees.



My grandpa's thermos, which often traveled through the orchard. This time it is joined with one special apple from a tree in his very orchard, which I ate today. Do you see the stripes? Yes, I insist, they must have those stripes to be the best.

Family stories are to be treasured and this is one that is so memorable to me.

Do you have memorable stories, a simple story that brings you joy?

Happy weekend, dear friends!

5 comments:

Lorrie said...

This is so lovely, Marilyn. Family stories are important. I love that you have your grandfather's thermos and can enjoy an apple and a pie from his orchard.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story! I enjoyed it immensely!
Susan

Changes in the wind said...

You are blessed and a blessing:)

Terra said...

What a nice story about the apple orchard, your kind sister and you sharing with your grandson.

Laura Morrigan said...

Definitely memories to be cherished!