Monday, August 16, 2021

Word for the Week

 Contentment

From a Dictionary search online: "Contentment is the state of being happy and satisfied. ... If not, have another piece of pie and then you'll feel contentment. Contentment isn't an excited kind of happy, it's more like a peaceful ease of mind. It's being satisfied with what you have, whatever that is."

This is a hard one for me. Is it for you?

I have thought for quite a few years about being satisfied with enough. Do I havc enough things or adventures? Do I have enough in my tummy? Am I loved enough? Am I content with what is in my world?

When I look at the world just in my neighborhood and then look to other places in the world, can I accept the way things are and be content where we all are? I worry often for people that are suffering. I want the world to be a peaceful, loving place yet we cannot change the world, but only how we perceive our world around us.

Can I stop and just smell the flowers?

Yes, I have many questions on this word, more than answers. 

From the Christian bible it says, Philippians 4:11-13 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

“I am content; that is a blessing greater than riches; and he to whom that is given need ask no more.”
Henry Fielding  

“At some point, you gotta let go, and sit still, and allow contentment to come to you.”
Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love

Can I sit still and allow the contentment to come? 

I don't mean this to be negative, but this word is sometimes a struggle for me.

For today I will sit in the garden, smell the flowers, sip my tea and let the world struggle to figure it out without me trying to fix anything. 

 

 

 

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

I have felt for many moons (and said before) that if someone asked me to describe myself in one word, I might say "contented." It is indeed the most wonderful feeling om the world. Maybe it's because I can compartmentalize well, I don't know. But I'm very content. That doesn't always mean I love everything happening, especially in the world. But I know what I can change and what I can't and that makes all the diff.

Anonymous said...

Good morning from Germany, dear Marilyn!

My english language is not that good, but I understood the meaning of your words and I love them!!!

Your blog is wonderful and made with so much love. Enjoy the day in your garden!

Lots of happy greetings from
LONI x

Changes in the wind said...

Thank you for your honesty. I think about my Grandparents who immigrated here from Sweden and homesteaded in Montana. No Tv and no newspapers or radio. Perhaps contentment was easier then. We are so bombarded with mostly bad news from all over the world. I know this, it is a process. Blessings.....

Red Rose Alley said...

I really like the Henry Fielding quote. I think we all look around and wonder at times, especially when we see where people live and what they have. But it's so much better to have contentment than have "things." And I think that's why this quote got to me. But I am guilty of wanting more. So many things to be done in this mountain home. And I try to complete them all so I can just sit back and enjoy. But being content with what I already have is a better way to live. Thank you for that gentle reminder, dear friend.

~Sheri

Mary said...

A really thought provoking post, so beautifully composed and shared with us who are questioning life. . . . .especially in these disturbing days. I admit I am not content lately, and sadly don't expect to feel that way anytime soon. Life is becoming more and more negative in so many ways and personally I long for the days we used to enjoy so much more.
Meanwhile dear friend, your last sentence will have to be my day also because I need to stop and smell the roses - even though I have none in bloom - go feed the neighbor's kitty and hope for a cuddle with her, pick more tomatoes and cook something tasty, and just hope we see some rays of sunshine soon!
Hugs to you.
Mary x

Lorrie said...

I am always encouraged by the Apostle Paul's words "I am learning to be content" because it's a process to work on. Contentment is a rich way to live.