Saturday, August 28, 2021

Sunflowers Make Me Smile

 "I want to be like a sunflower; 

so that even on the darkest days

I will stand tall and find the sunlight."

 author unknown

In our garden standing tall is the sunflowers.

I included the car for perspective. They are the tallest sunflowers we have ever had in the garden.


Eventhough there are sunflowers in my garden, I still had to drive to the country to find more. Topaz Farm on Sauvie Island (about a 30 minute drive from my home) I found the sunflower maze.


 
They had a u-pick area, but only my camera picked the flowers.
 


Sunflowers just make me smile. They are such a happy flower.
Now the ones in my garden are enticing the squirrels to come to the banquet.
 

Sunflowers by Donal Mahoney

No one has to teach a field
of sunflowers how to worship.
Before dawn in high summer

their necks are bent
in silent prayer like monks.
But as the sun comes up

sunflowers rise as well.
At noon they adore the sun
the way monks in pews

adore the Host at elevation.
Listen and you may hear
sunflowers sing Alleluia!

Happy Weekend, dear friends!

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

That sunflower field is fabulous! And what magnificent blooms in your very own garden. They are one of my favorite flowers and a sure sign of late summer.

Mary said...

Wow! Your own sunflowers did well this summer Marilyn - the few seeds I planted were gobbled immediately! I like the idea of a cutting area at the maze - we couldn't do that at the local one here.
That's a really lovely poem, imagine the sound of an Alleluia if all the flowers really could sing out!
Mary x

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, you saw a lovely field of Sunflowers. And I like the pictures you took, especially the one with the petals drooping. That's wonderful that you have a garden of Sunflowers at your home. I've always liked them, such a cheerful flower. They make me smile too Marilyn.

~Sheri