Friday, December 10, 2021

In my Home this Week

 I love fresh flowers in my home all year long.

A few years ago I figured out an inexpensive trick for December. When my market has big pots of living poinsettias I buy one full one. The white one I purchased recently was $8.  I love the white with fresh greens brought home from the wreath making last week.

I actually make my bouquet by filling a container or vase with the greens, then adding just one poinsettia blossom from the plant I brought home from the market.

This first bouquet is actually decorating my bedroom.

The second bouquet is on my tea trolley in the dining room.

Also in the dining room on the little chair sits the remains of the original plant. On the stool is a vase of paper whites, which we also love each December.


Back in the bedroom one poinsettia decorates my tea tray. The tea tray sits there all year long, but has a different bouquet each week and a rotating tea cup that signifies the season.

 

 

Because I have decided to invite one or two friends for tea each month, yesterday there was teatime with my niece. It does my heart happy to share tea with one special person at a time.

Depending on how much energy I have I can keep it simple or make it more a full teatime. Yesterday we had dried fruit, scones with clotted cream and orange marmalade, egg salad sandwich, chicken curry sandwich, slivers of fruit cake, and cherry wink cookies. Then in the teapot and poured into our cups was a lovely oolong with osmanthus flowers from Grass People Tree.

I set the teatime up on the coffee table in the living room.

Usually I hang the vintage quilt on the wall for Christmas, but this year I decided to use it on the coffee table. What fun to use it in a different way.

I hope your week has had touches of delight.

Happy weekend, dear friends!

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

Oh, Marilyn, all of this looks so delightful! I love the flowers -- I haven't done that poinsettia thing in a long time and I'd forgotten how great they look. Love the paper whites, too. And oh, your tea table is to die for! Love the quilt hanging as a table cover. It's really so perfect!

Red Rose Alley said...

The white poinsettias look lovely around your home. And the table you set for tea looks delicious with all the different foods. I see some dried apricots; haven't had those in a long time. The green glasses are beautiful, and the vintage quilt adds a special touch. I wish I could come over and have tea time with you, Marilyn.

~Sheri

Mary said...

I did buy two pinkish-red poinsettias this year for the staircase - they look pretty from the front door. Your idea is great re: cutting them - and I have to say the white once look lovely.