Monday, March 14, 2022

A Gift for You - A Flower and A Poem




The Trees

The trees are coming into leaf
Like something almost being said;
The recent buds relax and spread,
Their greenness is a kind of grief.

Is it that they are born again
And we grow old? No, they die too,
Their yearly trick of looking new
Is written down in rings of grain.

Yet still the unresting castles thresh
In fullgrown thickness every May.
Last year is dead, they seem to say,
Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.
 
by Philip Larkin




 I love trees and often donate to organizations that plant trees. Trees help our environment, which needs all the help we can give it. I also love white blooming things in the garden. In evening or early morning light they just shine. They reflect the sun more fully and just make me smile. Then a little color must move right in too to add the laughter in the garden. Above all else is the "greenness" in the world around us. Each season of "greenness" brings JOY to my soul.

Happy new week, dear friends!

8 comments:

Lorrie said...

I can't imagine a world without trees. They provide so much life and oxygen and beauty to our world.

Happy Birthday for tomorrow, Marilyn. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Red Rose Alley said...

What a grand tree that is, and I'm assuming the white blossom below is coming from that tree. I love the trees too, Marilyn. They provide shade for us in the hot Summer months, they provide fruit for us, and Oh, the stories they could tell, with people sitting under them sharing secrets of their own. Trees are wonderful in so many ways.

Lovely post today, Marilyn.

~Sheri

Thelma said...

Nice poem. I love trees also. I have planted a lot over the yrs. on my property.
There's a lot to benefit from with tree around.
Have a great week.

Mary said...

The trees and white blooms are beautiful - I've always loved trees and have planted several, moat having done well over the years.

Marilyn dear, a very happy birthday today - may this one be special and hopefully you will be greeted, spoiled, hugged, gifted and kissed by those close by
Bob and I send virtual hugs and HAPPY BIRTHDAY wishes XX

Jeanie said...

That's a wonderful poem! I'm just longing for our trees to begin to leaf. That wonderful yellowish spring green haze is one of my favorite moments of the season.

So, today is your "real" birthday? Well, I hope it's a wonderful day filled with people and things you love! Happy Birthday!

Linda P said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura Morrigan said...

Trees are such wise old friends!

Linda P said...

An interesting blog post Marilyn. I wish you a belated happy birthday and I'm sure you had a lovely day.