Friday, February 17, 2023

A Day at the Sea

 

 My "live-in gardener" celebrated a birthday at the end of January. I couldn't think of a gift to give him; so I said his gift would be a day trip to the sea to have his favorite fish and chips made with tuna and a walk by the water. The fish and chip boat is located in Astoria, Oregon, about a 2 hour drive from our home. As you can see it was cloudy, but the temperature was mild without wind or rain. It was perfect and a gorgeous drive along the Columbia River. The Columbia River divides Oregon and Washington States and runs very near my home.

Astoria is located at the mouth of the Columbia River. We visited the Maritime Museum just across the road from the fish and chip place and learned it is one of the most treacherous ports for ships to navigate and there have been many shipwrecks.

Inside the museum there were many examples of the shipwrecks and stories.

Since many of the ships come from Asia the china washed up on the shore included this beautiful teapot.


After leaving the museum we drove south along the coast to Seaside, Oregon. Seaside is a popular place for young families as there are many activities for children, such as rock climbing walls and go-carts.
 
On a quiet winter weekday it was perfect for walking on the beach.


I love a winter beach and so does my "live-in gardener".
The sand looked like an extension of the sea with it's ripples.

Turning my camera away from the sea just so you can see the homes nearby.
Oregon's beaches are all public; so most often the homes are back further than in many other states. I like that Oregon has designated the beaches to be public.
And then we headed home.
We traveled over the mountains on a different route where we saw quite a surprise of snow at the higher elevations. We stopped here because there is a spigot where you can fill your water bottles from fresh spring water. Some people bring large jugs just to gather the water, but we just had our regular water canisters. Just the same, another treat along the way.
 
What can I say, but I love a winter walk by the sea!
One of my favorite things to do; so an easy birthday celebration too.
 
Have a great weekend, dear friends!

 

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

Now, I've heard of food trucks, but that's the first food boat I've ever seen! What a wonderful looking excursion with so many fun adventures along the way. A terrific birthday in every way!

Anonymous said...

That is such a wonderful area! Visiting Astoria and the OR coast is something I could never grow tired of. Being here in landlocked MO, makes it extra special when we can visit every 2-3 years or so! Happy you both had such a great time!

Mary said...

I too have never seen a "fish 'n chip" boat - what a super idea! I would have loved to join you there - glad you had such a great seaside and river trip, know J must have enjoyed every moment.