Friday, February 10, 2023

Lantern Festival at the Garden

 An evening in Lan Su Chinese Gardens.

Most often I am tucked at home in the evenings, but last week a friend asked me to join her and another friend for the Lantern Festival at Lan Su Chinese Gardens. I ventured out on a perfectly gorgeous and dry evening to enjoy friendship and lanterns in the garden. Yes, there was a cup of tea; though in the evening it is herbal/tisane and no caffeine.


 

What a treat to wander the paths in the garden and enjoy the reflections of light on the lake.


There are many superlatives I could use to describe the evening, but mainly it was just perfect. Perfect lanterns, perfect scenery, perfect friendship, and perfect crisp, clear evening.

It was all very invigorating!

 





The Lantern Festival takes place to mark the final days of the Chinese New Years celebrations.

"The lanterns can symbolize the people letting go of their past selves and getting new ones, which they will let go of the next year. The lanterns are almost always red to symbolize good fortune"

"Persimmons bring good luck and symbolize longevity."
At the garden there is always a table with an offering and tea for ancestors. 

It was a lovely evening and reminded me to step out of my comfort zone and go out in the evening more often.

Happy weekend, dear friends!

5 comments:

Lorrie said...

It does sound like a lovely evening, and the weather cooperated! Have a good weekend, Marilyn.

Sandi Magle said...

My goodness, you did a super job on those photos and capturing the mysterious light and dark of the evening. Very Pretty! Thanks for Sharing, Sandi

Jeanie said...

Oh Marilyn, what a glorious post! And those photos are terrific. I love those floats and you captured the reflections and light perfectly, along with the mood. It would be absolutely magical! I'm so thrilled you had this opportunity, Marilyn!

Red Rose Alley said...

This evening you shared with friends does sound perfect, Marilyn. I don't venture out in the evenings much either. I would love to visit this place. The lanterns are so pretty, and that lit-up dragon is something else! I learned a little this year about Chinese New Year and did a post myself. The traditions are very interesting, and I've always loved Chinese food. The persimmons on the table look so nice, and I didn't realize they symbolize longevity. I loved this post today, Marilyn.

~Sheri

Jeanne said...

Beautiful postings always. Thank you