Friday, January 26, 2024

Hearthside Tea Time

“May you always have walls for the winds, a roof for the rain, tea beside the fire, laughter to cheer you, those you love near you, and all your heart may desire.”—Irish Blessing

Recently I was inspired by Tea Time Magazine to do a "hearthside tea". Afterall, I had the same teapot they had in their pictures and it just sounded like the perfect thing to do in winter. I invited a friend to join me.

In the cup was a nice Darjeeling from Lochan Tea. And because both my guest and I like tea sandwiches the best, I made three different sandwiches and had a bit of fruit on the side. The sandwiches were deli turkey with lingonberry jam on rye bread, chopped black olive on wheat bread and ham, cream cheese and champagne mustard rolled on flat bread. They were all good. The olive was the only one I had made before; so it was fun to have something new.

Of course we needed something sweet to finish teatime. I had the batter for molten chocolate cake in my refrigerator for my "live-in gardeners" birthday this week and thought it would be the perfect way to end teatime. We were so busy visiting I cooked the chocolate cake a bit too long and it was really just chocolate cake, but still good.

For me, anytime of the year is an excuse to have teatime with a friend.
Sitting in the gardenhouse during warm months is a delight, but sitting by the hearthside is most wonderful too.

In the past when I invited a friend for tea I would work for days to prepare. As I have gotten older I have realized I don't need to follow the rules of teatime. I can do teatime however and whenever I want. My rule is to keep it simple because enjoying sipping tea with a dear friend is really what it is all about. So if you come for tea at my table it might only be a piece of toast or it might be three sandwiches and something chocolate.

Happy weekend, dear friends!

Enjoy a cup of something warm by the hearth.

Sending love, Marilyn

5 comments:

Mary said...

I like your thoughts on not wearing oneself out by tea preparations which are too over the top and time consuming! I think about tea in England when I was a child. There was a full blown version now and then - but in our house, mum being a super cake maker, (she never used a recipe just pulled together a delicious version in such an effortless way!) meant teatime was usually simple, just a cuppa and a slice of some type of homemade cake!

I love what you served here though Marilyn - lucky friend must have too!

Yesterday was so warm here again, I even put the a/c on to cool the upstairs! Next week may bring "a snowflake" according to the local news - we haven't had snow in 2 years!

Happy weekend - we'll put aside the hot chocolate for a few days and get the teapot out again! Hope J enjoyed his molten choc cake, yum!!!!!

Jeanie said...

I love that you decided to keep it simple -- which still took a good deal of time, I think, making those wee sandwiches and the cakes. You're right about it being all about the friend time and not th eprep. Some things are easy to do when you are used to them -- setting the table, maybe. But baking takes time! (Baking and prepping). Still, you kept it simple and neat and I loved that!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I agree! No rules, Marilyn. What a perfectly lovely idea!

Lorrie said...

Keeping it simple is good! And what delicious tea sandwiches. I like the idea of a Hearthside Tea! Hope your husband enjoyed his molten lava birthday cake.

Rosemary said...

Your hearthside friendship tea is such a special gift to share. Kindness and joy in action!