Saturday, January 20, 2024

This week Tea and Ice

 The title pretty much says it all.

There has been ice all around me outdoors; so mostly what I have done indoors is sip tea. It's OK for a little while, but then I want to get outdoors, move about, see nature, see friends and go to the market.

This first picture might not look like much. The little spiky things sticking up above the ice are the beginnings of crocus to come in the yard.


Well OK, I needed to eat too. Any excuse to add warmth indoors included a little bit of early morning baking. There were the remnants of cookies in the refrigerator to bake, lemons that needed to go in a pie and blueberry muffins because there were blueberries calling out from my freezer. Plus just having the oven on made me feel more cozy and warm.


Yesterday my "live-in gardener" and I decided to drive to the market. We squirmed out of our sloping drive and gingerly made it to the market. The parking lot at the market had been cleared and we did quite well on the main streets and at the market. However, trying to pull into our drive was treacherous.  Thankful for a wide drive as we turned sideways and slid back down. There was no way to get the car back where it had been. We parked at the curb, but how were we going to get in the house and carry our groceries up the hill. At that point a kind neighbor came along with his shovel and broke up some of the ice and we walked up the garden, holding on to the bushes along the way. Our neighbor carried our groceries up the hill for us. Whew! What an adventure. Glad there were no falls and my car is safe on the street.

This morning I could see the sun shining on my front walk. It is still ice, but the sun gave me hope for melting. It is warm enough now that the ice is beginning to melt. We are staying indoors today though.


I enjoyed a few early morning breakfast's by candlelight just because it made me feel more cozy too. And then you see more tea too.


The plants had frozen rain. Many branches down in our yard. And large branches through the roof of the greenhouse. I have a feeling whatever is inside is frozen too. Not looking yet!! A few things were rescued and sitting in the house for warmer days.


And then more tea.  I finished off a couple teas in my stash and enjoyed some new teas recently sent from Assam Heritage Tea. The tea in the cup is a Bamboo Smoked Green tea, which quite surprised me. I don't normally drink green tea, but the smoked flavor was quite delightful.

And of course, more ice on everything. This plant held the ice like a necklace of pearls. I thought it was quite beautiful.



 Well even though at time I said it was beautiful, I will be happy to see it go away. 

How is it in your part of the world?

I hope you are staying cozy and sipping something warm.

Sending love,

Marilyn

5 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Sorry you had a time going up the hill and into your house after coming home from the market, Marilyn. So nice of you neighbor to help with your groceries. Your table looks so cozy for breakfast. That green tea sounds wonderful, and those blueberry muffins sure look good. Be careful on the ice, Marilyn. We don't get ice that often here, just the snow, which can be tricky to drive in and tiring to shovel. ; )

~Sheri

Linda P said...

I love the warm image of the cup of tea Marilyn. Do stay warm and safe during the cold, icy days of Winter.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

It's been quite the weather here in Portland, Marilyn. I am so glad you did not have a fall on that ice. There are still some patchy areas around! But don't those sweet little crocuses give you pause? And I love the Japanese proverb on your Jan 15th post! :)

Lorrie said...

That ice is very pretty, but also treacherous. I'm glad your neighbour helped with getting the groceries up the slippery slope. Your baking looks delicious!

Jeanie said...

That's intense, Marilyn. I'm so glad you and Mr. Live-In made it to the store and back into the house all in one piece with no bumps and bruises. What a good neighbor you have. I can see why you are mainlining tea! Ice is so horrible but it does makes for some beautiful photos -- especially that string of pearls. I hope your crocus make it!