Tuesday, August 20, 2019

A Meander in the Country

 Today I needed apples, at least I think I do;
so I headed to the farm store outside of Portland for my Gravenstein apples.
Yes, each year I go there for 20 pounds or so just so we have pie filling in the freezer.
Winter just isn't winter without having a fresh baked apple pie occasionally.
 But first I had to stop and stroll this historic apple orchard.
Wow! the branches were loaded.
I was tempted to pick, but the apples are for the farm.
It is a historic apple orchard, part of the local park district.
Often children are brought here in the fall to pick and picnic.
I brought my children here when they were young.



 The old tree branches are often crooked and mossy.
 I love just walking here.
 My heart is at peace.
 The queen anne's lace was everywhere.

 At the farm where I bought my apples there were flowers too.
  Walking through the flowers put a smile on my face.
 I thought even the flowers past their prime most beautiful.
 Isn't that a busy big bumble bee?

 I spotted my first pumpkin, some cut fields, and tips of leaves beginning to show signs of Fall.
 And to top the day there was a cup for tea.
Don't you just love a lazy, meandering sort of day in the country?
A time to see what you can see and savor the day.

7 comments:

Sandi said...

Ah...simple beauty.

Anonymous said...

I love your connection with nature...I feel it too!
Susan

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, how I love to see pictures of the apple orchard, Marilyn. There's nothing like apples in the Fall. That's great that you freeze the pie filling for the Winters. I bet you had fond memories of bringing your children here when they were young. Those old crooked tree branches are something else, and the bumble bee picture made me smile. And pumpkins! Spending time in the country always gives me a new perspective, and I'm glad your heart is at peace there.

~Sheri

sustainablemum said...

What a beautiful orchard, those trees look amazing. I love going on a meandering lazy walk they are the best kind.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Marilyn, how I would savor a day in the country right now! Thank you for letting us enjoy yours vicariously.

Tracy said...

What a lovely orchard! How nice this is such a family-friendly place. And so true... autumn/winter without apples, or apple pie, just wouldn't be right. ;) mmm... I'm getting hungry just thinking about apple times/apple eating ahead! Very fun to go along with you to this lovely place, Marilyn... ((HUGS))

Jeanie said...

This looks like a fun little road trip. And how smart are you having apple pie filling! I always make pasta sauce to freeze but never think about something like pie filling. Smart! And it's a great looking spot. I'd love that!