Monday, May 11, 2020

Word for the Day - 2020

COMFORT
For zoom church yesterday I was asked to share a word at the beginning of the service.
We call that "first word".

This is what I shared about my mother and God.
Hope you enjoy it.

"With Mother’s Day on my mind I read the scripture for today.  Two words particularly jumped out at me. Refuge and Comfort. These remind me of my mother. As a young girl the town where I lived had a siren that blew each day to mark the time at noon. It was part of my life and a comfort. Once in the while it would ring out loudly at an odd time, even during the night.  It was a signal to the volunteer firemen to come because there was a fire in town. It would wake me terrified, shaking and crying. My mother rocked me until I quieted down and could go back to sleep.  She comforted me.

My mother was a simple, beautiful lady who made simple food that was comforting. Her popovers with homemade jam were the best. And when she was down she told me to get the teapot out and we plopped in a teabag or two and for awhile we pretended to be ladies or we pretended to be the queen. We laughed and suddenly she felt better. Her home was always tidy and clean and she loved her two girls more than I can even imagine. She created a safe place, a refuge of comfort and love.

God’s love can be both a comfort and refuge in times of struggle.  In times when we are down – God holds us in loving arms and says it will be well.

My mother found refuge in God. I knew that she prayed for me daily. She comforted me."


9 comments:

Terra said...

What a good mom you had. And what a good good Father we have.

Laurie said...

What a beautiful way to begin service, with a sweet tribute to your mother. It also gives me a hint of where your love for tea began Marilyn.

mamasmercantile said...

Such lovely memories and a great reminder that we are loved and not alone.

Tracy said...

Hi, Marilyn... Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day weekend. This is sooo BEAUTIFUL... thank you sooo much for sharing this gift from your heart! REFUGE and COMFORT--both very good gifts a mother offers. I know my own has (and continues to) for me... How blessed we are! ((LOVE & HUGS))

Mary said...

Such a poignant story of your sweet mother Marilyn.

Mine was an amazing lady too, and of course being English, she always had the kettle ready to boil, and her loose tea in the metal caddy ready to be spooned into the teapot! I can visualize it all so easily still, the silver teaspoon with a fancy handle, the tea caddy painted with garden flowers!
Sadly, as a child/teen - in fact not until I became an adult - I was a not a tea drinker at all, coffee was my poison!!!! Now of course I love a good cup of tea - especially the ones I've shared with you!

Mary x

Jeanie said...

This is so thoughtful, so beautiful, Marilyn. Comfort is such a wonderful word (and feeling) and I'm not sure we think of it that often today. During a time when I think we all need a little comfort, holding close to the actions of this wonderful woman who raised you so well is a fine lesson for us all.

Rosemary said...

This is a beautiful story, Marilyn. A lovely tribute to your mother, and a comfort to all of us at this time.

Louca por porcelana said...

Absolutely wonderful post.Thank you!

Adrienne said...

Beautiful words and such a tribute to your mother. It reminded me of loud thunderstorms in my early years that would drive me under my bed with fear. My mother would scoop me out, hold me in her arms and tell me not to be afraid. She told me to think about the loud sounds as if God was clapping His hands. That took the fear out of it. You and I were blessed! And God is such a comfort. I'm sure our mothers learned their comforting ways from Him.
~Adrienne~