Wednesday, July 15, 2020

A Return to the Garden


Yesterday the Lan Su Chinese Gardens opened for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic.
It was open to members only with reservations and a mask.
Just a few were welcomed each hour and we were given 1 hour to enjoy
by following the arrows through the garden.
It was such a treat to be there for awhile.
My oasis away from home.
There were more fish in the pond and dragonflies flitting about than I have ever seen there.

The flowers so beautiful!
The peacefulness of hardly anyone around delighted my heart.

Even the little grasshopper on the rose sang to my soul.

Waterlilies were in full bloom.
I almost felt like I could reach out and hold the dragonflies in my hand.
Walking through a jungle of delight my heart was happy.

The fragrances greeted us as we entered and again as we left.
So thankful for this place of beauty in the center of Portland.
It is indeed an oasis missed.

6 comments:

Mary said...

I have such lovely memories of my visit there with you and J, dear friends. Great knowing they have reopened. That you were able to visit and see such beauty in your lovely city (which is having such difficult times) must have been such a good feeling.
We've seen more dragonflies this summer in the garden - and at night the fireflies bring a lot of sparkle above the lawn. One got in the house and I was able to catch it gently in my hand and take it back outside!

So hot here now - 97F yesterday and 90+ every day for another week or more. Summer is truly here and wearing the mask in such heat makes one just happy to remain at home.

Jeanie said...

Being able to visit again must have felt like such a gift for you,Marilyn. Not only is it a gorgeous spot, but it is one of YOUR spots, your happy places. I think that's terrific you could visit. Well done!

mamasmercantile said...

A joy to know that little by little we are all adapting to a new 'normal' and things are starting to open up again. So nice that you are getting out and about again.

Linda P said...

You must be very thankful that you can now return to such a beautiful garden because it's now open to the public. Such places are designed to give a sense of tranquility. I'm glad that you felt the benefit from a wander around. Lovely photos.

Red Rose Alley said...

So many interesting things to see at the Gardens. I'm surprised it's open right now. Many things are closing here again in California. The water lilies photo is such a good one. And I love to see pictures of the dragonfly. ; ) So glad you had a nice visit there once again, Marilyn.

~Sheri

Rosemary said...

How lucky to be able to enjoy the gardens with limited guests during this pandemic. It looks like a peaceful destination during these trying times.