Friday, July 3, 2020

July 4th


Freedom

Freedom will not come
Today, this year
            Nor ever
Through compromise and fear.
 
I have as much right
As the other fellow has
            To stand
On my two feet
And own the land.
 
I tire so of hearing people say,
Let things take their course.
Tomorrow is another day.

I do not need my freedom when I’m dead.
I cannot live on tomorrow’s bread.

            Freedom
            Is a strong seed
            Planted
            In a great need.
            I live here, too.
            I want my freedom
            Just as you. 


I pray for the day when each can walk with freedom in their two feet
and without judgement and cruelty.
Where we can live side by side and acknowledge our differences,
but celebrate together our similarities.
Let's embrace our fellow man, woman, and child with our arms and hearts,
for now figuratively with masks on.
I am reminded daily why I wear that mask for each of you.
In that we are free to live another day.

Thank you friends for stopping by.
May your weekend be blessed with joy
as you shelter in place.

Added after the fact, but to relevant not to share:

"For this is a time for courage and a time for challenge. Neither conformity nor complacency will do. Neither the fanatics nor the faint-hearted are needed. And our duty as a party is not to our party alone, but to the Nation, and, indeed, to all mankind. Our duty is not merely the preservation of political power but the preservation of peace and freedom.

So let us not be petty when our cause is so great. Let us not quarrel amongst ourselves when our Nation’s future is at stake. Let us stand together with renewed confidence in our cause–united in our heritage of the past and our hopes for the future — and determined that this land we love shall lead all mankind into new frontiers of peace and abundance." - President John F Kennedy, undelivered speech to Democratic Party of Texas, 11/22/63

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Relevant post Marilyn, perfect for what this nation is dealing with t this time. And President Kennedy, not knowing this would be his last day, was to deliver speech that is just as important and relevant to day as it was in 1963. (He was assassinated on my birthday. A day I will never forget.
Enjoy your week-end Marilyn, let freedom ring.

Mary said...

Enjoy today best you can as we are - alone but together!
Times are rough in so many ways for so many people. Who knows where it will all end, both here in the USA or any place elsewhere in the world.
God Bless America today, and in the days to come.
Enjoy your garden and glass house today dear Marilyn & Jim.
You are in our thoughts. Happy Independence Day.
Mary & Bob xx

Jeanie said...

This is a terrific post, Marilyn. You can't beat Langston Hughes and the Kennedy quote was spot on. I long for that day, too.

Red Rose Alley said...

I hope you had a good 4th of July, Marilyn. I had a nice day spending time with Mia and eating good foods. Love that red rose in the photo. That's a very nice picture. : )

~Sheri

susan hemann said...

I first read his work in high school and have loved his poetry for 50 years!! Yikes I especially like A Raisin in the Sun

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Well-said!